Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Ball Joints Installed - Question

Old 06-23-2013, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ball Joints Installed - Question

I installed the Synergy ball joints this weekend on my JK. I thought everything went fairly well considering it was my first time to replace any. I ensured to torque everything to spec (or at least I think I did.) When I got in to start driving around, I was expecting the steering to be stiff. Everything I have read up to this point has suggested that stiff steering is normal. To my surprise, my steering doesn't feel like it has changed much at all. I can tell that it handles a little bit better, but not as good as I was expecting. The roads around my area are pretty crappy, so it is kinda hard to tell. Also, just for reference, I have not checked my caster and I have roughly 3 inches of lift and no adjustable control arms.

So, my question is: Since my steering was not stiff after the new ball joints were installed, is there anything I need to be concerned about or check?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

I had the same ball joints installed on my JKU about 5,000KM ago. (my local 4X4 shop did it due to lack of time on my part)

I thought the same thing as you....stiff steering.

Never happened, smooth as silk since I drove it home, no issues. Very happy with the Synergy BJ's, and the guys that did the work.

Enjoy
Old 06-23-2013, 04:42 PM
JK Junkie

Same .... It felt tighter but nothing crazy that some report. My guess, their ball joints were absolutely trashed and took time to get used to the new ones.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Same .... It felt tighter but nothing crazy that some report. My guess, their ball joints were absolutely trashed and took time to get used to the new ones.
Also some people over torque the castle nut causing the steering to feel stiff and tight.

Last edited by JK yeti; 06-23-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Former Vendor

A properly installed and greased set of ball joints should not create stiff steering. Like mentioned above, over torquing the nuts COULD cause this. Seems to me like you installed them properly. I wouldn't be worried one bit. With just the new ball joints installed, you should be able to pivot the knuckle back and fourth through its range of motion with ease.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also just installed the SYNERGY BJ, love the way they feel! Very happy with them
Old 06-23-2013, 08:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you notice a huge difference before and after I would say your ball joints were smoked before you replaced them. When I swapped mine I didn't notice a difference but I did mine as preventative maintence measure.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

My ball joints, front bearings and front unis were all trashed. Felt like I was driving a go cart when all replaced must have just got progressively worse over time
Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you all for the information!

Quick Reply: New Ball Joints Installed - Question