Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Ball Joints, Home Brew Gusset, and Poor Steering.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Ball Joints, Home Brew Gusset, and Poor Steering.

So, I tore into the D30 and installed greasable ball joints and home made c-gusset this weekend.

Now, I had Off Road Evo gussets... seems they do not fit with the AEV High Steer kit installed. So, after a few hours of my brother and I chopping the Evo gussets to hell trying to get them to fit, I settled on a 3/4" thick section of hardened steel welded in as seen for the support. We had the whole thing tore apart to do the ball joints and there was no way I was putting it back together without some type of reinforcement.

Now to the actual question: The new ball joints were a tight fit. The steering is stiff. The steering wheel will not even return to center on its own while driving. Is that stiffness normal after replacing ball joints and will it loosen up? Or did we do something stupid?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you torque them to spec? I think it was 70 on the bottom and 125 up top (it's been a while so I'm not certain). And they were to be torqued in stages 35 -70 -125

As an aside, why didn't you weld in the gussets then modify the AEV bracket for the stabilizer bar bracket and weld it on? Looking further, isn't the stabilizer link supposed to be in the middle hole for the 3.5" lift and the top hole for the 4.5?
Old 07-31-2011, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

The sway jar links fit the Top on the 4.5 lift. My Gussets were notched for spring clearance for the AEV springs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3253487019.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	188255   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2430052213.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	188256   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4083588290.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	188257  
Old 07-31-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

No that is not normal for it to be that stiff but not sure what the problem is.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure you installed the correct size ball joints? Sounds like they are fubared in some way.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

The ball joints are the part numbers specified for the 09 JKU. I'm fairly certain they are the correct ball joints. The top originals were shot.

I suppose we could have taken the AEV brackets out, gusseted, and then reinstalled. I didn't think of it at the time. Most likely due to the , but I'm certainly no mechanic either.

Though we started with a torque wrench, the installation called for tightening (as oppsoed to loosening) the nut to line up the cotter pin hole. This was especially done on the passenger side. Would over-tightening alone cause the stiff steering?

Well, I bought the Jeep with the AEV kit and 3" lift already installed... all seemed well and it tears up the sand dunes so I didn't think to review the installation of the stuff. I shall now, though. It has developed quite a creak/groan on the front right when flexing.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoneaxe
The ball joints are the part numbers specified for the 09 JKU. I'm fairly certain they are the correct ball joints. The top originals were shot.

I suppose we could have taken the AEV brackets out, gusseted, and then reinstalled. I didn't think of it at the time. Most likely due to the , but I'm certainly no mechanic either.

Though we started with a torque wrench, the installation called for tightening (as oppsoed to loosening) the nut to line up the cotter pin hole. This was especially done on the passenger side. Would over-tightening alone cause the stiff steering?

Well, I bought the Jeep with the AEV kit and 3" lift already installed... all seemed well and it tears up the sand dunes so I didn't think to review the installation of the stuff. I shall now, though. It has developed quite a creak/groan on the front right when flexing.

Try jacking up the front of your jeep and see if you can grab one tire and turn the steering back and forth. This shouldnt be too hard, if its really hard or stiff or doesn't move, my guess would be the ball joints got f'ked up while pressing them in or somrthing.
Just a quick note, make sure your steering stabilizer isn't all cockeyed on the tierod. And/or try taking it off and see if there is a difference.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Jedi

Could be the heat from the gussets being welded cause the upper C to warp.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

I just installed ball joints this weekend and from what I could find, the torque was 75lb on the bottom and 70lb on the top. I torqued to these amounts and then a little more to get the castle nut lined up with the cotter pin holes. I don't know for sure, but I can see how over-torquing could cause stiff steering. My steering feels just like it did before and much better on the highway since I don't have a steering wheel shimmy now. Also, you can measure the C's to see if the welding expanded them. Mine were exactly 9-1/8" from outside machined edge to outside machined edge.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Stoneaxe

So did you ever figure out what happened? I just installed the same style ball joints and I am having the same problem...

Quick Reply: New Ball Joints, Home Brew Gusset, and Poor Steering.