Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New alignment with 1" lift spacers?

Old 03-16-2007, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by armycop
According to Way of Life: (2.5 in BB)
Because of the the new steering system design that Jeep is using on the JK Wranglers and the fact that you did not change out or alter your front track bar in any way, your front end alignment should be just fine and you will not need to recenter your steering wheel.
If you add lift which lowers the front axle in relation to the the frame you will absolutely be changing the "centering" of the steering wheel.

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Although my steering wheel may be ever so slightly off after installing a 2.5" BB, it wasn't enough to make me want to go out a straighten it if it wasn't going to give me any grief. So, I left mine alone and after 1,500 miles of highway and hard off road use, it has not caused my ESP to act up at all.
That said, it may not be enough to matter...

It's definitely not like the TJ steering setup. Any lift on a TJ will directly change the toe-in setting. On the JK the front wheels are tied directly together and adding lift (no matter how much) will not change the toe-in setting. But any amount of lift changes the steering wheel centering. Having the steering wheel centered is important on the JK. On the TJ it didn't make any difference.

And centering the steering wheel is very easy to do...
Old 03-16-2007, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

[QUOTE=And centering the steering wheel is very easy to do... [/QUOTE]

How do you center the wheel if I need to do it? Also, thanks for the help on this too.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

You center the steering wheel by adjusting the drag link (making it shorter or longer). The drag link connects the pittman arm on the steering gear to the passenger side steering knuckle. If you lift your JK you will need to lengthen the drag link slightly to center the steering wheel.

You loosen the clamps (#1) and rotate the sleeve (#2). From the FSM:

Adjust the drag link adjuster sleeve so that the left and right toe values are equal. Verify the steering wheel is still straight. Position the clamps as shown and tighten to 35 N·m (26 ft. lbs.).
Old 03-16-2007, 11:37 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jdrogers
If you add lift which lowers the front axle in relation to the the frame you will absolutely be changing the "centering" of the steering wheel....

That said, it may not be enough to matter...

...It's definitely not like the TJ steering setup. Any lift on a TJ will directly change the toe-in setting. On the JK the front wheels are tied directly together and adding lift (no matter how much) will not change the toe-in setting. But any amount of lift changes the steering wheel centering. Having the steering wheel centered is important on the JK. On the TJ it didn't make any difference.

And centering the steering wheel is very easy to do...
Yes, you are right, the "centering" will change but I should clarify, just not enough to matter.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:42 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jdrogers
You center the steering wheel by adjusting the drag link (making it shorter or longer). The drag link connects the pittman arm on the steering gear to the passenger side steering knuckle. If you lift your JK you will need to lengthen the drag link slightly to center the steering wheel.

You loosen the clamps (#1) and rotate the sleeve (#2). From the FSM:

Adjust the drag link adjuster sleeve so that the left and right toe values are equal. Verify the steering wheel is still straight. Position the clamps as shown and tighten to 35 N·m (26 ft. lbs.).
LOL!! At a first glance, I thought that FSM diagram was of a right hand steer JK or something when in fact, it's just a view of things from the center of the vehicle looking forward. Just so there's no confusion, looking from the front of your Jeep, the turnbuckle will be located on the driver side next to the pitman arm as shown below...

Otherwise, the directions are pretty much what is stated above. The use of a friend watching your steering wheel as you adjust the turnbuckle will speed things up but it's not necessary

Last edited by wayoflife; 03-16-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Thanks again

Thanks alot one more time, drawings and everything. That's GREAT!!
Take care.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just finished the Daystar 1 3/4 lift.....

Just put my Daystar 1 3/4 inch spacers on, not too bad, 3 hrs by myself. Pretty easy, I just used the writeup on the Project-JK instructions on the website for the terraflex. No steering problem or alignment problem at all. Just test drove her on the highway, tracking perfect! Love the stance, now I just need my backordered rims to put my 33s on!

Last edited by armycop; 03-17-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Smile

Just put my Daystar 1 3/4 inch spacers on, not too bad, 3 hrs by myself. Pretty easy, I just used the writeup on the Project-JK website for the terraflex. No steering problem or alignment problem at all. Just test drove her on the highway, running perfect! Love the stance, now I just need my backordered rims to put my 33s on!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Just put my Daystar 1 3/4 inch spacers on, not too bad, 3 hrs by myself. Pretty easy, I just used the writeup on the Project-JK instructions on the website for the terraflex. No steering problem or alignment problem at all. Just test drove her on the highway, tracking perfect! Love the stance, now I just need my backordered rims to put my 33s on!
Yes; pictures please

Quick Reply: New alignment with 1" lift spacers?