Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New AEV CA brackets

Old 04-09-2010, 01:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
there are SEVERAL over rated kits... i'm not going to mention names but as soon as you posted that i chuckled. you can insert a few names into the AEV slot above
Agree with you there. But it's an Aev thread so..... Haha
Old 04-09-2010, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is what it is, a $99.00 option for caster correction.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:06 PM
JK Jedi

I don't get it.

Option 1: Lift with adj. control arms = ability to run bigger tires = increased ground clearance; or,

Option 2: Lift with drop brackets for control arms = ability to run bigger tires = increased ground clearance everwhere but the control arms because you have to drop the brackets down a few inches, essentially negating the gain from larger diameter tires.

Why would option 2 ever be better than option one if you actually wheel the Jeep?

Edit: I'm not trying to be an ass...my question is sincere because I hope to lift my Jeep in near future and I am looking at a variety of options.

Last edited by Sharkey; 04-09-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got the email this morning, and was so excited to see another AEV thread, and here I wait 10 hrs and already got three pages, anyway, always very entertaining to read what people think.

I personally think this is a good solution if off road imacularity, yes i made that word up, is not paramount. 35" daily driver, with trail visits once to four times a month, i just dont see needing more.
I also dont think it is all that overpriced, yes i could do without that....block thing for the jack, but the AEV procal, as well as shocks, and whatever else, I just dont think it's that bad.

Yes if I had my way, and an unlimited bank account, this would definitely not be my first choice, but i just dont think its all that bad.

Also one question, correct me if I am wrong, my assumption was that if bind free movement was the ultimate goal, isnt currie joints all the way around the best option anyway(including the trackbar one too)
Old 04-09-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ordered a set this morning. I don't need them; I have the JKS arms all the way around. But, for $100 I'll give them a shot. I can always take them off...and besides, I kind of enjoy working on my JK.

I don't care if they're not the first to ever do this or not. I do appreciate the fact that everytime I try an AEV peice I'm pleased.

I'll post up my impressions after the install.

Why hate on some of these manufacturers? If you don't like them, ignore them, and spend your money on what you do like.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:40 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by spinlock
Just ask and you shall receive.

I just find it amusing how there is such love/hate relatioship with AEV products between the owners and the non-owners. The lift kit is just that, it has pros and cons just like any other lift kit. The pro's are strong (ride, handling, quality) and so are the cons (price, cam bolts ... erhhh wait the CBs are gone )

The AEV kit is not necessarily better, but it is different in some respects.
for the record, i have NO hate for their kit and if you do a search, i think you will find that i have on multiple occasions stated that their front track bar and drag link solution is one of the best out there bar none. my issue isn't with them but rather, all their fanboys who constantly sing praises for their beloved company as if they are god's gift to jeep parts. as you've stated, they are not necessarily better but different in some respects and that's it.

AEV acknowledged buyer's reluctance to use cam bolts which required a change in their product line over 6 months ago. I was surprised to receive the email about the brackets because I thought they showed prototypes of adjustable CAs at SEMA.
funny thing is, i have been one of the most vocal detractors of cam bolts and their use of it and i have even gone so far as to explain as much to them in person. and, all along all i got were them trying to convince me that i was wrong and all their fanboys would go so far as to troll me and suggest that i was only knocking their use of cambolts because they were not a sponsor here if they are now changing their tune, good for them but i do wish some people (not you) could be more honest with themselves and acknowledge that the so called "detractors" were right and their beloved company was wrong. but, maybe that is too much to ask.

However, it is not surprising that they created the brackets because an assortment of geometry correcting and tuning brackets has always been the signature (and much of the value) of the Nth Degree lift kits. The original TJ kit was a nightmare of stamped pieces of sheet metal that needed to be installed.
and i agree. in fact, i have even gone so far as to ask why they didn't create these brackets a long time ago as rancho had. going off of their signature geometry correcting brackets, i would have thought this would have been a must and openly criticized them for having not done it.

The brackets will reduce ground clearance but so do some long arm kits. The proof is left as an exercise to the reader .
while this is true, i think it's a stretch to try and compare the loss of ground clearance that a long arm kit would give you with a short arm kit using factory control arms and drop brackets. the benefits of a long arm kit are well worth the ground clearance loss.

The AEV kit is not as expensive as many of the high end kits (not the ultra high end like EVO), but it does not include many of the parts like adjustable CAs that are included in those kits, so the relative price is perceived as high.
have you ever ridden in a JK with a rancho sport kit? i have and i have ridden in a JK with an aev kit. i can assure you that both ride and handle similarly if not the same AND, the rancho kit is only $850.

It's all goodness. We are fortunate to have many good options for the JK.
this is for sure

Last edited by wayoflife; 04-09-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:42 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by nukeman
It is what it is, a $99.00 option for caster correction.
Technically, it doesn't correct caster, it just bring your suspension geometry back closer to stock so that caster correction isn't needed.

Originally Posted by Mskh20
I don't get it.

Option 1: Lift with adj. control arms = ability to run bigger tires = increased ground clearance; or,

Option 2: Lift with drop brackets for control arms = ability to run bigger tires = increased ground clearance everwhere but the control arms because you have to drop the brackets down a few inches, essentially negating the gain from larger diameter tires.

Why would option 2 ever be better than option one if you actually wheel the Jeep?

Edit: I'm not trying to be an ass...my question is sincere because I hope to lift my Jeep in near future and I am looking at a variety of options.
dropping the mounting points will do a good job of bringing your suspension closer to stock and this will provide good handling and ride comfort on pavement. this is a critical element of the aev kit as they are always touting how great their kit will corner and run a slalom course. on the rocks, it is a liability but IMHO, a better option than cam bolts like they use to use.

Last edited by wayoflife; 04-09-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:49 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Phoenix07013
Also one question, correct me if I am wrong, my assumption was that if bind free movement was the ultimate goal, isnt currie joints all the way around the best option anyway(including the trackbar one too)
yes, something like johnny joints would be the way to go but there are drawback to them such as the need to grease them to prevent squeaking and a ride that transmit a little more road noise to the occupants.

Originally Posted by zoeydad
Why hate on some of these manufacturers? If you don't like them, ignore them, and spend your money on what you do like.
please, nobody i know "hates" some of these manufacturers. in fact, i think the real question that needs to be asked is why do all the fanboys of these companies hate on those who tell the truth? certainly, up until now, i've had people hate on me just because i would point out that the use of cam bolts was a mistake, they would accuse me of attacking this company just because they weren't sponsors and of course now, these companies are in agreement with me - go figure.

Last edited by wayoflife; 04-09-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

No hatin, just debatin. Kinda like the cambolt threads. Me personally , I don't think the brackets are a good idea. Stepping stones and cheaper ways of correcting things are another way of reaching customers and another avenue of income which alot of companies do. We live in the want it right now world of can I get this much X lift by paying the least amount of $. When in reality most of us who piecemeal a lift because of $$ end up getting the correct products in the end and spend more $$. I do think AEV was late getting their lift out and marketed it as being higher end than it really is, not knocking them, just my opinion. In the end all that matters is what the customer wants and or likes and is willing to compromise on. Those brackets, just as cambolts , are a cheaper solution to a problem that is easily corrected by adj. CA's. I'm constantly looking to improve my jk, making mistakes on spending $$$ that I ended up spending more on later and just try to pass on what I've learned about purchases from various manufacturer's. Plus I tend to stir the pot occasionally. That is all......for now..... until we have another RE bushing thread anyway.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Damn Eddie you type fast, I was on page three when I started typin.

Quick Reply: New AEV CA brackets