Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New AEV 2.5" DualSport XT Suspension Lift Question

Old 03-15-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine lands at my door on Monday... will post feedback when I have time to get it installed. Was hoping this weekend but I slacked off one day too long on my order.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:20 AM
JK Junkie

dont forget to take some measurements bro !
Old 03-15-2012, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Well, I got this kit on after a few minor issues. (One. some dumb ass ordered the 2 door kit, yea me...and I have a 4 door, so had to stop and swap springs). I for the life of me CANNOT get the passanger front side shock nut tightened up. I broke some of the plastic trying to get it in....and it's still loose:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-15_17-12-11_789 (1).jpg
Views:	999
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	289399

And second, I'm trying to get the front lower control arm bolt off to put the AEV geometry brackets in and the SOB is tight. Got a nice whack when the breaker bar slipped. Any tips on cracking it loose?

I figure I'm doing ok for a newbie......
Old 03-15-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Still torn between this kit w/ the brackets + front adj trackbar or the RK 2.5 max travel!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CruSHeDJkUR
Still torn between this kit w/ the brackets + front adj trackbar or the RK 2.5 max travel!
I REALLY like the idea of the brackets.... It lowers the attack angle of the control arms back to stock, and should really offer improved performace over new adjustable control arms..

I had the control arms on my last lift (OME) and didn't care for them at all..
Old 03-15-2012, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anonymark
Well, I got this kit on after a few minor issues. (One. some dumb ass ordered the 2 door kit, yea me...and I have a 4 door, so had to stop and swap springs). I for the life of me CANNOT get the passanger front side shock nut tightened up. I broke some of the plastic trying to get it in....and it's still loose:

Attachment 289399

And second, I'm trying to get the front lower control arm bolt off to put the AEV geometry brackets in and the SOB is tight. Got a nice whack when the breaker bar slipped. Any tips on cracking it loose?

I figure I'm doing ok for a newbie......

It takes awhile on the shock bolts, I just positioned the allen wrench so it would hold itself and made 1/4 to half turns with an open end wrench. Also, I put the jeep back on the ground before I tightened it.

As far as the lower control arms go, penetrating oil and maybe a heat gun, just don't melt anything or start a fire! But I've had good luck with heat getting stuck fasteners loose.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dstock
It takes awhile on the shock bolts, I just positioned the allen wrench so it would hold itself and made 1/4 to half turns with an open end wrench. Also, I put the jeep back on the ground before I tightened it.

As far as the lower control arms go, penetrating oil and maybe a heat gun, just don't melt anything or start a fire! But I've had good luck with heat getting stuck fasteners loose.

Thanks, I just sprayed everything down....Gonna let it sit overnight and try again in the morning. Took the Jeep out for a spin with the lift on, rode ok. I'm going to double check everything in the morning before hitting hte main roads.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by anonymark
Well, I got this kit on after a few minor issues. (One. some dumb ass ordered the 2 door kit, yea me...and I have a 4 door, so had to stop and swap springs). I for the life of me CANNOT get the passanger front side shock nut tightened up. I broke some of the plastic trying to get it in....and it's still loose: And second, I'm trying to get the front lower control arm bolt off to put the AEV geometry brackets in and the SOB is tight. Got a nice whack when the breaker bar slipped. Any tips on cracking it loose? I figure I'm doing ok for a newbie......

I read somewhere that in order to install the front shocks on 2012 models, some trimming would need to be done on the fender well to gain access to the upper shock bolt. As for the lower control arm maybe adding a pipe as added leverage to the breaker bar, or maybe investing in a cordless impact gun. For me since there will always be some maintenance or installation of aftermarket parts on the Jeep I invested in an air compressor and an impact gun & miscl air tools

Old 03-15-2012, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

This lift is awesome! Pictured is a 2012 sport with AEV 2.5" (including the drop brackets) and 32" MTs

Sorry I don't have any before comparison. Had the lift installed as soon as I could!

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	1577
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	289481
Old 03-15-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Renard
This lift is awesome! Pictured is a 2012 sport with AEV 2.5" (including the drop brackets) and 32" MTs

Sorry I don't have any before comparison. Had the lift installed as soon as I could!

Attachment 289481
Looks good do you plan on upgrading to 33" or 35" tires?

Quick Reply: New AEV 2.5" DualSport XT Suspension Lift Question