Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New AEV 2.5" DualSport XT Suspension Lift Question

Old 04-20-2013 | 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I just installed 2.5xt on 2013 jku with 35 mtr.k and pintler and geo correction braket. Couple questions.

Should you have free play in the steering wheel. the steering feels tigh @ 20 mph... but once i hit 45-50 the wheel feels loose.. free play right to left.

also jeep pulls to the right so I had them re-align.. and they put -.40 on the toe. But it still pulls. I think a bracket/clamp might be missing that goes on the front cross member to adjust the steering. There appeared to be 3 from factory? If you look at the jeep head on there is a clamp to the right ,middle and a rust spot on the left. Figuring that is where on was?
Also PSI is 30 in each wheel.

when you have you wheels balance do you do a static balance in the middle with weights or do you do static on the rear or dynamic rear and behind spoke.

Last, how in the heck do you guys with 3.73 do okay with this Kit.. i think I want 4.56 like tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2013 | 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

There should be no wheel play or pulling at all. I don't recall even touching the steering linkage at all. It should ride firmer, but more sportscar like and not harsh. Not sure if you installed yourself or had someone do it, but I would loosen it up and retorque everything per the instructions. If tires were balanced before the lift, nothing should change w the lift. As for the 3.73 ratio, make sure you do the Procal first to get shift points, speedo, TPMS, and all that stuff corrected before doing a $$$ gear change. Not sure I helped much, but sounds like the install is not correct.

Last edited by 65Cobra; 04-22-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2013 | 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Default Lift Height

Originally Posted by fitchottie
Hi I just installed 2.5xt on 2013 jku with 35 mtr.k and pintler and geo correction braket. Couple questions.

Should you have free play in the steering wheel. the steering feels tigh @ 20 mph... but once i hit 45-50 the wheel feels loose.. free play right to left.

also jeep pulls to the right so I had them re-align.. and they put -.40 on the toe. But it still pulls. I think a bracket/clamp might be missing that goes on the front cross member to adjust the steering. There appeared to be 3 from factory? If you look at the jeep head on there is a clamp to the right ,middle and a rust spot on the left. Figuring that is where on was?

when you have you wheels balance do you do a static balance in the middle with weights or do you do static on the rear or dynamic rear and behind spoke.

Last, how in the heck do you guys with 3.73 do okay with this Kit.. i think I want 4.56 like tomorrow.

I'm getting the same lift on my 2013 JKU but am using different tires. Could you tell me the overall height of your jeep after the lift? I can figure out tires differences. I know there are some dimensional differences in lifts and depending on how much it weighs but I have height restrictions and while I'm getting the 2.5" I really wanted the 3.5".

Thanks,
John
Old 05-22-2013 | 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fitchottie

I had a similar issue when i first installed my kit. I found out later that i put the front lower control arms in the wrong hole of the drop brackets. the 2.5" lift uses the bottom hole on the drop brackets and i had it in the middle hole which is used at the 3.5" lift.
Old 07-07-2013 | 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hey lift buddies

I just ordered my AEV 2.5 Setup with brackets and can't wait for the change over!!!

I'll post pics as soon as the dealer installs it next week!!!!!

Now to decide if I should go with 305/55/20 or 35/12.5/20

I don't want to re gear this year.... After the lift and tire package no more money for 5.13 gears till next year :( I also just ordered the superchips FLASHPAQ I hope that helps.... Any advice on tire size guys? It's a 2010 daily driver (Auto)
Old 07-07-2013 | 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2010 jku rubicon auto w/ 4.10' s, aev 2.5 and 35X12.5X17 and steel bumpers. I read a lot about the need for re gearing but haven't yet. It's been 5 months and I'm fine with it. I live in nj and although its not mountainous there is nothing level. You do notice the inclines but I never thought of my jeep as a street racer. Just another opinion. Good luck. I really like the look.
Old 07-07-2013 | 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sheepdog
I have a 2010 jku rubicon auto w/ 4.10' s, aev 2.5 and 35X12.5X17 and steel bumpers. I read a lot about the need for re gearing but haven't yet. It's been 5 months and I'm fine with it. I live in nj and although its not mountainous there is nothing level. You do notice the inclines but I never thought of my jeep as a street racer. Just another opinion. Good luck. I really like the look.
Thanks "Sheepdog". I have a Sahara.... What the hell do I have for gears
Post some pics of your jeep in your profile album because I wanna see your setup!

Why does no one do this?!?! I have to admit I need to update mine because I did several changes..... Black rims, Duratracs, red leather now... Etc.... But people that's the best way to show your rig without me trying to track down all your postings!!!! Lol
Old 07-07-2013 | 11:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine :
2012 JKU
2.5" AEV dualsport kit + geometry correction kit
33" BF tires (285/70/17)
ARB front & rear bumpers.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gaafar.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	475996
Old 08-26-2013 | 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

I installed the AEV 2.5 as well. My front drivers spring us rubbing in the metal bump stop holder. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
Old 08-26-2013 | 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mrd27
I installed the AEV 2.5 as well. My front drivers spring us rubbing in the metal bump stop holder. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
did you index the springs? the end of the coil is supposed to sit in a pocket toward the back of the jeep. also, make sure you don't have the springs upside down. the part of the spring that has larger openings between coils goes on bottom. the tighter spaced coils go on top.

Quick Reply: New AEV 2.5" DualSport XT Suspension Lift Question