Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New AEV 2.5" DualSport XT Suspension Lift Question

Old 07-01-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Can_uck
The questions are - how many boxes? and how heavy are they? as it must come back as luggage allowance. Luckily, I will have up to 5 bags limit for it. KIDS ARE USEFUL!!
I will post if I am successful.
Arrived from Seattle in 2 boxes, but as you can see, you could break it down over all your kids luggage.

As to weight, I can't remember, but if you spread it across enough bags you should be ok. Don't forget, you might be able to get the bolts in hand luggage. Not sure what you will do with the track bar.....

As to cost, I have not found anyone selling AEV in the UK, so have to import. Prices in Europe make it slightly better to ship from the US.

My dealer did get me a price on the MW3 bumper, so AEV without the hoop. But the price in the UK was £2500 plus Tax. Which works out about $4000

Cheaper to import, pay the Tax and shipping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3855020429.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	335835
Old 07-14-2012, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Half way done, could use some advice

So I bought this kit when it first came out, and finally started installing today (waited for my neighbor with all the cool tools to have some time). I've installed most of the stuff on my jeep (spacers, bumper, winch, skid plates, etc..) this was a huge PITA, and I'm still not done. Honestly the instructions could be better, with part numbers on the parts and references to those part numbers in the instructions. Half my time was spent figuring out which part went where. I also installed the correction brackets, another PITA with instructions. So now I think I have it on right, but still not sure, here is some of the things i noticed. 1. Measuring from ground to fender above tire one side is .75" taller. 2. I removed my daystar spacers, and did not see any factory isolator other than what was already up there, and I only have about 3" difference between bumpstop and added puck thing. 3. Shocks look compressed already (at least the covering is all bunched up) 4. The quick disconnect links (JKUR) are not straight vertical, almost like the axel is shifted to one side. 5. The correction brackets were hard to get all the bolts to line up, had to jack it up again and use ratchet straps to bring the axel closer to get the bolts in the new locations. 6. Had two extra bolts from the correction bracket kit, I don't know where they go. 7. I have the northridge grade 8 kit, but have not idea where I'm supposed to put those bolts, so I did not even try. 8. I had to bend the hell out of the brake lines to get them extended down to the new location. Only drove it from my neighbors back to home and it feels like it rolls way more than original. Finally, tomorrow I tackle the rear, so if I did something stupid or if I should take this in to a professional for a look over now is the time to do it.

If I figure out the picture thing, I'll post some up, and let people blast away.

THanks,
DD
Old 07-14-2012, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

bummer! heard nothing but good things about this setup...mine is going on tuesday...keep us posted!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by schmugboy
So I bought this kit when it first came out, and finally started installing today (waited for my neighbor with all the cool tools to have some time). I've installed most of the stuff on my jeep (spacers, bumper, winch, skid plates, etc..) this was a huge PITA, and I'm still not done. Honestly the instructions could be better, with part numbers on the parts and references to those part numbers in the instructions. Half my time was spent figuring out which part went where. I also installed the correction brackets, another PITA with instructions. So now I think I have it on right, but still not sure, here is some of the things i noticed.
1. Measuring from ground to fender above tire one side is .75" taller. As to the difference in height, did you index both springs properly in the perches on the axle? Is the low side the passenger side, and if so do you have a full tank of gas?
2. I removed my daystar spacers, and did not see any factory isolator other than what was already up there, and I only have about 3" difference between bumpstop and added puck thing. I believe a stock JK only have 2.5" of up travel on the suspension. Those puck things are called bump stop extensions and they stop your tires from rubbing your fenders. If you want more up travel pull them out but your tires will eat your fenders.
3. Shocks look compressed already (at least the covering is all bunched up) The covering on mine was all bunched up on mine as well because it needs to have enough slack when the suspension droops
4. The quick disconnect links (JKUR) are not straight vertical, almost like the axel is shifted to one side. The axle does shift ~1/4-3/8" of an inch, you can buy aftermarket adjustable track bars to correct it if it bothers you but at 2.5" of lift it's hardly an issue
5. The correction brackets were hard to get all the bolts to line up, had to jack it up again and use ratchet straps to bring the axel closer to get the bolts in the new locations. Axles are heavy, best way I found to do it was to put the brackets on one side at at time, release the top bolt from the opposite side and quickly get the second bolt into the bracket before the axle moves to far. Do this with the trackbar disconnected.
6. Had two extra bolts from the correction bracket kit, I don't know where they go.
7. I have the northridge grade 8 kit, but have not idea where I'm supposed to put those bolts, so I did not even try. If this is the kit then it is for your lower control arms and track bar as it says in the description
8. I had to bend the hell out of the brake lines to get them extended down to the new location.

Only drove it from my neighbors back to home and it feels like it rolls way more than original. Finally, tomorrow I tackle the rear, so if I did something stupid or if I should take this in to a professional for a look over now is the time to do it.

If I figure out the picture thing, I'll post some up, and let people blast away.

THanks,
DD

I would suggest getting professional to look at it, or someone else who has experience with lifting JK's.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

as for #6. those extra bolts are only used if there were cam bolts previously installed....it says this in the instructions/content sheets. if u got this lift kit when it first came out u may have the old instruction sheet as well...try downloading the newest version from their site...it may help
Old 07-15-2012, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default So I'm done and here are my concerns

So I've completed the install. I still have some concerns. The passenger side quickdisconnect is not vertical while the drive side is. The bumpstop is very close (3") to the added puck thing. And finally the passenger side sits lower by about .5" than right, that is front and back (could be full gas tanks is causing that)

Pictures

Sorry for the orientation, 1st pic is bumpstop, 2nd is driver side qd, 3rd is passenger qd. Any thoughts on what I might've done wrong.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bumpstp.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	341403Click image for larger version

Name:	driv_qd.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	341404Click image for larger version

Name:	pass_qd2.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	341405
Old 07-15-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by schmugboy
So I've completed the install. I still have some concerns. The passenger side quickdisconnect is not vertical while the drive side is. The bumpstop is very close (3") to the added puck thing. And finally the passenger side sits lower by about .5" than right, that is front and back (could be full gas tanks is causing that)

Pictures

Sorry for the orientation, 1st pic is bumpstop, 2nd is driver side qd, 3rd is passenger qd. Any thoughts on what I might've done wrong.

Attachment 341403Attachment 341404Attachment 341405
those are NOT quick disconnects..they are factory endlinks. its due to the axle shift....an adjustable trackbar will solve the problem. is the drivers side extension bracket mountes inward on the factory tab?

not sure but if u install like u post pics
Old 07-15-2012, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is the same way. I just started a thread on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-870975043.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	341414  
Old 07-15-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sheepdog
Mine is the same way. I just started a thread on it.
the axle shifts toward the drivers side due to the lift. the factory tracbar sits at a greater angle now which shortens its reach from the frame to the axle, so it pulls it closer to the frame mount, or drivers side. not a big deal but can be easily fixed with the addition of an adjustable trackbar. i have driven for months like that with no problem, but i ordered a trackbar a few days ago to center the axle. also got some quick disco's to ease disconnecting and to eliminate the extension brackets.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I know I saved the pictures right side up, just when I posted they reoriented that way. I assume it has something to do with not having a very good pic editor and relying on preview (mac)
Well the AEV lift obviously doesn't come with an adjustable track bar, and their FAQ says one is not needed. So I guess it is ok to drive like this, is there anything other than an adjustable track bar that can fix it?
Yes I'm not good with all the parts names, hence my frustration with the instructions and not know what part is what. I was calling them quick disconnects since they are attached to the bar that goes through the electronic disconnect on my JKUR. And when I was reading through threads I heard alot of people call them quick disconnects, I guess that's because they can be replaced with those.
Any thoughts on the uneven height, I measured in my neighbors flat garage and in mine and came out with the same measurement.

RTguy1, I assume you are Rtguy on the AEV forum, is there any benefit to also posting there, other than getting some more of your helpful advice.

Thanks,

DD

Quick Reply: New AEV 2.5" DualSport XT Suspension Lift Question