Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New 4" suspension lift - rides like a dump truck

Old 12-18-2013, 03:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NORD4ME
So I finally got my new 2015 JKUR and with 19 mikes installed a new 4" lift and the darn thing rides like a dump truck. Rough as H&ll. Any thoughts on this thing softening up or did I just make the wrong choice in lift kits? I don't want to burn anyone as far as lift kit manufacturers but I am really displeased. Any thoughts please...., Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 not out yet.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TxRdStr
2015 not out yet.
Typo. 2014

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would start by calling Evo to get their input. Rough riding to one person might be fine to the next. The Bilstein 5100 shocks are a firmer shock, and there are definitely different options out there to give you a softer ride. Assuming yourtires are D rated, they should ride fairly well at 28 psi. I don't know much about the ride those coils give, but others should chime in.

Last edited by Ryan0260; 12-18-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way that kit should be riding rough, something is off on your install. Contact EVO or Northridge4x4 and they should be able to steer you in the right direction on getting it setup correctly. Those Evo coils are the softest riding you can get, I have the DoubleD (long Arm) with the 5100's and rides 10x smoother than when it was stock. No twitchy steering either, I can drive it with one finger with no problem.

Last edited by cboggs; 12-18-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Hummm....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2013, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

a lot of good feedback already that you should follow. those bilsteins are probably part of the problem as in they are a firm shock. my buddy runs them and his Jeep rides much rougher than mine which has Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sports. also, not sure if this is your first lifted large mud tire Jeep or not, but when you do these things the ride suffers compared to stock suspension with 30-32" tires. also if you are running a very light Jeep, keep in mind a lot of these springs/shocks were designed for heavy Jeeps
Old 12-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Former Member

EVO has a good reputation. Keep it simple at first. You got a lift, that means you very likely are running larger tires. Shop likely put air in at max PSI. On an Excursion, this might be correct, but on a lighter JK, it's generally not. Depending on what tire you're running, how your JK is equipped, etc... anywhere from 26-32 PSI would be the correct pressure.

i.e. 35-37" Nitto Trail Grappler with a thick side wall on a basic JK without heavy armor or bumpers. 26-28 PSI. 35-37" thin walled Cooper, BFG, etc on the same rig around 30 PSI.

Play around with tire pressure first. If it still rides like a dump truck, there are other things to look at and we can go from there.

Quick Reply: New 4" suspension lift - rides like a dump truck