Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New 4" suspension lift - rides like a dump truck

Old 12-17-2013, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 4" suspension lift - rides like a dump truck

So I finally got my new 2015 JKUR and with 19 mikes installed a new 4" lift and the darn thing rides like a dump truck. Rough as H&ll.

Any thoughts on this thing softening up or did I just make the wrong choice in lift kits?

I don't want to burn anyone as far as lift kit manufacturers but I am really displeased.
Any thoughts please....,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You won't be burning any companies by sharing your experience with their lift and how the ride feels to you. Ideas for ride improvement from members will be much easier with at least a brand to work with. Share away!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't you think a little basic info on the kit might be helpfull?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah missing some key info here to help you out... Auto or stick, brand shocks, did you use a tuner, gears ratio, tire size, who did the install, is your caster set correctly....
Old 12-17-2013, 09:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yep, kinda hard to give any feedback when no one but you knows what you have.

Mfg of the coils and shocks, and the specific components that were installed would help. Were all of the bolts tightened while in the air, or under vehicle weight on the ground? Tire size and pressure? Even the alignment specs might help.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:43 PM
JK Junkie

We might be dealing with a completely different suspension design on the 2015's ppl so we need pics of it lol. But we do need info
Old 12-17-2013, 09:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yep, kinda hard to give any feedback when no one but you knows what you have.

Mfg of the coils and shocks, and the specific components that were installed would help. Were all of the bolts tightened while in the air, or under vehicle weight on the ground? Tire size and pressure? Even the alignment specs might help.

Ok let's see if I can cover all the questions. Thanks in advance.

EVO enforcer 4" lift kit and drag link kit.
Bill stein 5100 shocks
I installed the kit and all bolts snugged in the air and torqued on the ground.
37" BFG KM2 running 28.5 lbs of air.
Alignment shop did this part and said the right front tire was out just on the edge if the specs but no way to adjust it further.
I had 19 mikes on the jeep when the lift went on and it now has just over 100.
It seems to ride really hard/rough and seems a little touchy overall when u touch the wheel at any kind of speed.

I am fairly used to a rough ride in my 03 excursion 7.3 with 5" lift and same 5100 shocks but I think the jeep rides rougher than the leaf springs on the Ex.
What to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2013, 10:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NORD4ME
Ok let's see if I can cover all the questions. Thanks in advance. EVO enforcer 4" lift kit and drag link kit. Bill stein 5100 shocks I installed the kit and all bolts snugged in the air and torqued on the ground. 37" BFG KM2 running 28.5 lbs of air. Alignment shop did this part and said the right front tire was out just on the edge if the specs but no way to adjust it further. I had 19 mikes on the jeep when the lift went on and it now has just over 100. It seems to ride really hard/rough and seems a little touchy overall when u touch the wheel at any kind of speed. I am fairly used to a rough ride in my 03 excursion 7.3 with 5" lift and same 5100 shocks but I think the jeep rides rougher than the leaf springs on the Ex. What to do? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check to see if your control arms are sitting correctly in their pockets. Recheck bolts. Was the draglink flip installed correctly? Draglink on top? Check for clearance issues everywhere. Control arms, draglink, sway bar links, trackbar, rear trackbar, make sure coils are in their perches correctly.

Make sure your castor is set correctly. I went to an alignment shop and they Said it was fine. All of my control arm ends were binding it their pockets. All they did was correct toe. I had to straighten my steering wheel myself and adjust axle center. Something isn't right and never trust someone's work because they have done it before. People make mistakes. Just check and recheck. When I fixed my control arm end and centered them it rode completely different. When I installed my Evo draglink flip it handled totally different around rough roads and bumps.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Hell get them to recheck everything tell them to drive it. It shouldn't ride rough at all.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wondering what kind of compression rate are on the coils vs how much weight is on the JK, along with the load index on the tires. If they'll let you exchange the shocks, OME Nitro Sports would be a nice upgrade.

Quick Reply: New 4" suspension lift - rides like a dump truck