Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Never used a programmer, soooooo.......

Old 07-12-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never used a programmer, soooooo.......

I have a 2011 Wrangler, crappy 3.8ltr to start off. I have mods of course, roof rack, 35" Nittos, PSC bumpers front & back.....so I have more weight. I have a procal and used it for what I purchased it for, but I am looking at a programmer to help with power and fuel mileage. Would a programmer kill my 3.8ltr quicker by using it for what I need? I don't dog my Jeep per say, it's a 4 wheel drive so wheel'n can make you have to dog it if you will, but I am just wondering if I would be good purchasing a programmer. I hate to get rid of it due to the 4.88's I installed with lockers, but if that's my last resort to be happy, I guess I'm gonna have to lose my hard earned cash I put in it.

Sent from the swamp while taggin' a gator!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

And please, no replies to just trade it....I've heard that already. I need some good advice on this cause like I said, I hate to trade in alot of cash and work on this Jeep!

Old 07-12-2014, 02:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

What are your actual expectations from a tuner? If you are thinking instant supercharger or instant hemi, you're waaayyyy off base. They may claim 20 or more HP, but you're only talking like 8-10 HP down in the rpm range most of us use. Depending on the specific tune and your specific build, it will improve performance, and you will feel it seat-of-the-pants, but it is by no means a huge boost.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 08 I have used diff programmers on other vehicles. So I tried the superchips flashpaq
And love it. This might be just my rig but I get approx 4+ mpg on flat driving. I sure did wake up my 3.8. Plus I like the rock climbing setting. It really helps with towing. I tow a 20' camper (tongue -rear bumper). This is the best programmer that I have boughten. I do also have a cat exhaust system also. Some do not get as good results as I have, some say they have gotten better. Hope this helps
Old 07-12-2014, 02:54 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 205 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by CajunTiger
I have a 2011 Wrangler, crappy 3.8ltr to start off. I have mods of course, roof rack, 35" Nittos, PSC bumpers front & back.....so I have more weight. I have a procal and used it for what I purchased it for, but I am looking at a programmer to help with power and fuel mileage. Would a programmer kill my 3.8ltr quicker by using it for what I need? I don't dog my Jeep per say, it's a 4 wheel drive so wheel'n can make you have to dog it if you will, but I am just wondering if I would be good purchasing a programmer. I hate to get rid of it due to the 4.88's I installed with lockers, but if that's my last resort to be happy, I guess I'm gonna have to lose my hard earned cash I put in it.

I've tried Superchips and Diablesport. IMHO if there's any performance or MPG improvement, it is so minimal as to be un-noticable. However, the pinging from advanced timing was noticeable. BTW, they typically alter the throttle curve so it feels like one is pressing less on the throttle for the same amount of power -- But that's just a feeling, not real power.

It would be fun to do some real testing that would quantify any power or economy improvement, my bet would be next to zero.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
What are your actual expectations from a tuner? If you are thinking instant supercharger or instant hemi, you're waaayyyy off base. They may claim 20 or more HP, but you're only talking like 8-10 HP down in the rpm range most of us use. Depending on the specific tune and your specific build, it will improve performance, and you will feel it seat-of-the-pants, but it is by no means a huge boost.
I know all that bro, I am just looking for a little help is all. Not looking to run against John Force with my jeep...lol

Old 07-12-2014, 03:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CajunTiger
I know all that bro, I am just looking for a little help is all. Not looking to run against John Force with my jeep...lol Sent from the swamp while taggin' a gator!
I use a superchips. It's night and day difference from stock. It's not gonna kill the engine any faster. Mine has worked well but I'll be a lot happier once I get a regear.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
I use a superchips. It's night and day difference from stock. It's not gonna kill the engine any faster. Mine has worked well but I'll be a lot happier once I get a regear.
I'm on an iPad and can't see what year Jeep you have. Do you have a 3.8?

Old 07-12-2014, 03:58 PM
JK Super Freak

4.88 on the 3.8 with 35s is still not a good gear setup unless you have a stick
Old 07-12-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jaker t5
4.88 on the 3.8 with 35s is still not a good gear setup unless you have a stick
I have a 6 speed dude

Quick Reply: Never used a programmer, soooooo.......