Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need your opinions!

Old 11-11-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your opinions!

Ok I've saved up to the point of being able to get an OME lift with track bars, FLC's, new rims and 35's. All total I was looking at 6K for install of lift, extra components, rims and tires.

Now all through this process my wife kept saying "I can barely get in this thing as it is!" and "if what your telling me is true once this is lifted it won't fit in the garage with a roof rack!". My wife wants a roof rack.

So I have been seriously thinking about this and now I may have changed direction with what upgrades I do...

With the cash I've saved I could install a Teraflex leveling kit, add 33 inch duratracs, add a front bumper with winch, add front / rear ARB diff covers, get a gobi rack and prob some off road lighting.

This is our DD and as much as I wanna lift it and add 35's my wife WILL have issues getting in and out and it WILL decrease gas mileage with 35's. I did plan on adding the above options later in the spring but I figure we don't run hard trails and the hardest trail we will prob run in the upcoming year will be the Whipsaw and from what I can tell a stock JK can do that. Plus I can always add some armor to protect the undercarriage.

So guys I'm looking for you opinions and thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Freak

You have to keep the wife happy. Time to compromise and go with option 2. You never know, keep saving and in a couple years your wife may be open to alittle more lift and larger tires.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

i would do 2.5" TF coil lift, 33's, new rims maybe then bumper/winch and rack. I dont really see too much of a reason to get skids for underneath, for the most part its pretty well covered.

and the whipsaw you will have no problem with, stock saharas have done it. Fun trail though, hopefully i'll be back in BC by the time everyone runs it again.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07Rubi2dr
i would do 2.5" TF coil lift, 33's, new rims maybe then bumper/winch and rack. I dont really see too much of a reason to get skids for underneath, for the most part its pretty well covered.

and the whipsaw you will have no problem with, stock saharas have done it. Fun trail though, hopefully i'll be back in BC by the time everyone runs it again.
From what I can see the leveling kit will allow for 33's. Just curious why you suggest new wheels? Will 33's rub on Rubi rims?
Thanks!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Northern Wrangler
From what I can see the leveling kit will allow for 33's. Just curious why you suggest new wheels? Will 33's rub on Rubi rims?
Thanks!
yea the leveling kit will work, but i would go with the coil lift just cause you'll get a little bit more lift if you ever decide to upgrade, and when you go to add bumpers winch and stuff you'll start sagging all over again, the coils will keep that sag to a minimum. When i was running the 2.5" lift with stock wheels and tires I had to run 1.5" wheel spacers to prevent any rubbing.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

option #,4??

a Budget boost, sawzall and 35's
Old 11-11-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Option 5. Ditch the wife and proceed with option one.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

I helped a friend install an OME lift, 35" tires and a Gobi rack and he could get into my garage just fine. Now he couldn't if he had crap on top of the rack, but empty it worked.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

Option 1 and add in some rock sliders that double as a step.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you getting someone pregnant behind the middle school anyhow ditch the wife and get the 35".

Quick Reply: Need your opinions!