Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need your expert advice

Old 05-07-2007, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your expert advice

What do you guys think of Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radial Tires?

I am going to get my 2.5" TeraFlex BB this week and am thinking of getting new tires and wheels as soon as I can get someone to buy my stock Sahara tires/wheels.

A couple of options I have been thinking of:

33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials & 34" Mickey Thompson Baja belted.

I have to work within a budget and have to try to keep it as low a s possible. For this I have been forced to consider a 15" (Cragar Soft 8's) setup which costs less than 17".

I would love to hear from you guys. I am new to Jeeps and I depend on this groups experience to guide me. Please give me some ideas on setting up my rig.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the MT Baja Belted on my 93 Wrangler. Although a very strong tire, it doesn't drive that well in snow. You would tend to slide around a bit. I just bought the Pro Comp Xtreme AT. These are great tires. You may want to check them out.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Both Baja's probably won't be very good for a daily driver with budget in mind. You might want to go with a good All Terrain tire that gets better tread wear and is cheaper. BFGoodrich AT's are really good and you can get them at a good price. Pro Comp's are very good also, but are quite a bit more expensive.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by simon
I had the MT Baja Belted on my 93 Wrangler. Although a very strong tire, it doesn't drive that well in snow. You would tend to slide around a bit. I just bought the Pro Comp Xtreme AT. These are great tires. You may want to check them out.
x2. brutal off-road, and look super aggressive, but i had some real bum pucker moments in the snow and rain. more in the rain, as i don't get a lot of snow. if you get them, take them to a reputable tire shop for some siping...
Old 05-07-2007, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

I ran a few sets of the Claw Radials. Definitely rates in my top 5. I loved them. Never really had any problems in the rain or snow, and loved them in sand and mud. Also got over 30k on my TJ. Two thumbs up from me.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

What are your driving needs? Are you on snowy, icy roads? Will you be doing much offroading, and in what type of terrain?

Tires are not a decision you want to make based on price. Tires are the single most important feature of your vehicle--they are literally where the rubber meets the road.

That said, I have never had a good experience with Mickey Thompson. But, I cannot say enough good stuff about the BFG's or the ProComp X-Terrains--they are fantastic tires. Which tread pattern you go with depends on your driving conditions.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeep School
What are your driving needs? Are you on snowy, icy roads? Will you be doing much offroading, and in what type of terrain?

Tires are not a decision you want to make based on price. Tires are the single most important feature of your vehicle--they are literally where the rubber meets the road.

That said, I have never had a good experience with Mickey Thompson. But, I cannot say enough good stuff about the BFG's or the ProComp X-Terrains--they are fantastic tires. Which tread pattern you go with depends on your driving conditions.
Well, first of all, I have had mi JK since October 10th, 2006 and have never been offroad. Am a new Jeep owner who wants to explore and am probably going to go offroad occasionally. I am just about to sign up for Camp Jeep 2007. Mostly use it as a daily driver. Would like some aggresive looking tires though.

Also am in NJ, get a little snow each year and some rain. Nothing severe, but good handling in these conditions is definitely a plus.

Last edited by myfirstjeep; 05-07-2007 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

I have a set of the radials that were on my CJ and now they will go on my JK. I never had any problems with them in any road condition. They dont like ice well (no MT does) but I will sipe them because it does help all around. They also wear well which is something I can not say for the Pro-Comp X.

I do 90% on road driving and for most people this means get a AT but when I go offroad I GO offroad and a AT will not hang. You need to deturmine what YOU need from a tire and your overall driving practices
Old 05-07-2007, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by myfirstjeep
. Would like some aggresive looking tires though.

Also am in NJ, get a little snow each year and some rain. Nothing severe, but good handling in these conditions is definitely a plus.
go with the MTZ, or the Super Swamper Truxus. almost everyone I know who went with the Truxus was VERY happy with its onroad abilities and off-road capability.

oh and they both "look" aggressive
Old 05-07-2007, 01:36 PM
TEV
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iv never had the baja claws but some people I know swear by them. They are one of the top all around tires for rock/mud mixture. I just don't like them being directional for the purposes of having a spare.

Quick Reply: Need your expert advice