Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Winch Advice

Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see dropping a grand for something that will see such little use. I have a Smitty XRC8 Comp winch w synthetic line. I've used it three times in a little over a year. Once wis in 17 degree weather and 13in of snow. I recovered a Mustang that went off the road and down a bank with no issue. It's not as fast as a Warn but will get the job done. Got it from Amazon.
Amazon.com: Smittybilt 98281 XRC-8 Comp-Series 8,000 lbs Winch: Automotive Got the cover for around $20.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:29 AM
JK Freak

You can get a recon winch which comes with synthetic line for $425 it's waterproof and comes with a wired and wireless remote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Atch
You can get a recon winch which comes with synthetic line for $425 it's waterproof and comes with a wired and wireless remote
It's a great winch I've installed a few on some of the jeeps around here, Just really slow line speed.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't spend the money on a synth unless you are using it in a crowd. To me the biggest downside of steel is the danger of it whipping through people if it snaps. If its just you around you can stay clear and be safe.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

Synthetic is more prone to fray and breakage from two key areas: sun exposure, and abraisives ( grit ie sand and dirt) getting into the line. Both can be overcome... 1. Buy a winch cover to keep the sun off the line when not in use and 2. Ensure you wash the line out periodically.

That said, i prefer cable. Many like synthetic because its technically safer from a break perspective - synthetic doesnt store energy like cable does... But if you get properly rated cable, take care of it (avoid kinks), and use it properly you should be fine.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some other pluses for synthetic, it is light-may not be a consideration but if you are looking to save weight on your bar can make a difference. It floats, can be spliced in just a couple of minutes with just a pen or similar, is easy to handle no chance of stray wires cutting your hand, is stronger than steel for the same diameter, from memory can be taken up to 70% of its max load about 1000x more often than steel without breaking, hawse fair leads are way lighter than rollers, modern Dyneema fibre is very UV and chemical stable. Do a search for Dynamica brand rope for some good specifications and comparisons. I don't see many ships moored with steel cable
Old 06-19-2012, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for all the advice!

Thanks for all of the advice! I settled on the Warn M8000-s. Ordered and will be installed when my new bumper arrives in 2 weeks!

Quick Reply: Need Winch Advice