Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Winch Advice

Old 06-13-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Winch Advice

I am getting ready to order a new bumper and decided to go ahead and get the winch now so that I don't have to pull the bumper off to install the winch later. I do have a few questions that I am hoping you guys can help answer.

I don't do too much wheeling and really just want the winch for when I'm out hunting in GA. There have been a few times I've gotten a truck stuck after a heavy rain. I currently live in Florida and during the summer I spend most weekends at the beach. That being the case, I am leaning toward synthetic line. Can somebody confirm this is the best option? Is there anything that I need to do after leaving the beach to clean/care for my new winch? I am leaning toward a Warn VR8000, but am also considering the VR9000, any advantage for one over the other?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:09 PM
JK Super Freak

If you had money to shoot towards a Winch I got my 9500 power plant for $1250 shipped off of AMazon last year.
It's nice to have air when out and about, also I researched the power plant is as fast and even faster than most aftermarket stand alone systems out there.
I just suggest to have a small tank plumbed in if you want to run air tools.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would go for the 9000, and definitely go with the synthetic line. Just make sure to get a cover for it to protect the line from UV rays
Old 06-13-2012, 07:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I would go for the 9000, and definitely go with the synthetic line. Just make sure to get a cover for it to protect the line from UV rays
Is the synthetic really needed if you maybe use the line once or twice a year.
I've had my steel cable since 2010 and it's totally mint. Someday when it finally frays I will do synthetic.
I can see if the winch comes with it but investing another couple hondo I'd rather put it towards a power plant
Old 06-13-2012, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

My only worry with steel is that the salt air is hell on anything metal.

Any water issues with a winch when washing the Jeep? The first thing I do when i get home is give the Jeep a good cleaning to prevent rust.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 PM
JK Super Freak

See that's where I can see synthetic line is better. I don't run mine in the winter here in minn salty roads it's parked. But my cousin on the other hand has left his out all winter for 5 years year around and drive in salt and everything. He too only uses his winch once or twice a year. Still running the same cable no issues.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wood get cable. Sand and salt water is not good on rope. Cable is the way to go ask any usn sailor its all cable.

Trending Topics

Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VinsonRC
My only worry with steel is that the salt air is hell on anything metal.

Any water issues with a winch when washing the Jeep? The first thing I do when i get home is give the Jeep a good cleaning to prevent rust.
I use a large black plastic garbage bag to cover the winch to keep it dry when I wash the Jeep.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Radioman
I use a large black plastic garbage bag to cover the winch to keep it dry when I wash the Jeep.
I'll make sure to do that. Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by gunbo75
I wood get cable. Sand and salt water is not good on rope. Cable is the way to go ask any usn sailor its all cable.
Spoken from a true seaman!! Ok I'd admit I once was a Snipe !!

Quick Reply: Need Winch Advice