Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need tire suggestions...

Old 01-20-2009, 02:39 PM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need tire suggestions...

I need to switch out my tires and rims on my JK.. I'm a big skier so we're up north alot and during the summer we take the kids out to the beach alot, which you drive onto the beach thru deep sand.. I was going to do a LA kit with all the goodies, until I took it up north this weekend.. I'm pretty disappointed in the way my JK handles in the snow.. It's awful.. My wife's Grand Cherokee whips my JK pretty bad and I'm very close to dumping my JK for another Cherokee... I'm hoping it's a tire issue.. What tires, other than snow tires, do you guys think would kill it in the snow and deep sand? Here's the tires I was thinking about and really like: M/T MTZ's, TrXus STS, M/T Claw's.. The GY MTR are a fall back... Any other suggestions?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

i am a trxus sts person. Ran them on my dakota, then my cherokees and now i just ordered a set (should be here friday) for my wrangler. The stock tires do indeed suck in the snow, i tried a set of Bfgoodrich long trail t/a that i had lying around and they are worse. But the trxus have always been good for me.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:32 PM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the response... The STS's look great.. How good did they do on the highway, deep sand, and deep snow? As I'm looking at the Swamper collection, they have some great tires.. Seems to have the best selection out of all the companies out there.. The STS, MT, and the IROK look like they'd fit they bill...
Old 01-20-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

id say out of the three your looking at the sts would be a good fit. The radials get pretty descent mileage and they do really well in the sand.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

if your on the Cape for the sand running... they don't allow any Mud Tires. Ohh.. and I love my X-terrains for all of the above... snow/mud/rocks/sand. I wheel the beach and the woods with these tires.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:23 PM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
if your on the Cape for the sand running... they don't allow any Mud Tires. Ohh.. and I love my X-terrains for all of the above... snow/mud/rocks/sand. I wheel the beach and the woods with these tires.
I didn't know that.. I thought you were ok as long as you had chain, boards, and aired down... Have they always not allowed MT's out there?

How have your X-terrains handled so far this winter? My rig went sideways in 4x4 right off the side of my buddies driveway this weekend numerous times, thus this thread.. Tires definitely need to be purchased...
Old 01-20-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Super Freak

I've had the X-terrains on a lot of my rigs now. I love them. Your more than welcome to come down to RI and take a ride on a snowy road. I'm running 13.50 wide tires now. I do notice that I had better snow traction with the 12.50's I had on the Jeep last winter.

What tires do you have now?

And yes... always on the Cape.... NO MUD TIRES! I got in trouble for that before. The KM 2's would get you in trouble on the beach's soft sand out there too. The KM 2 is a narrow tire. You'd have to run them really low not to burry yourself out there. I've seen many a burried rig out on the Cape Cod Sand Dunes. That place swallows up trucks. We run the RI beaches down here... only the one on Block Island ever got me hung up so far.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rws
Thanks for the response... The STS's look great.. How good did they do on the highway, deep sand, and deep snow? As I'm looking at the Swamper collection, they have some great tires.. Seems to have the best selection out of all the companies out there.. The STS, MT, and the IROK look like they'd fit they bill...
deep snow, never thought twice about venturing out in 2 ft of snow... 8-9inches of snow was 2wd drive territory for that tire. They just grab and go. Sand was similar situation. the highway wasnt bad, they are a difficult tire to balance and slightly louder than a BFG a/t but about 100 times better offroad than a BFG a/t At slow speeds (rolling in traffic, due to the design of the tire they are jumpy but thats like 5mph and below

they also worked well at climbing the roommates car...

some mud/ice we went thru

Last edited by Viperdave; 01-21-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:30 AM
rws
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
I've had the X-terrains on a lot of my rigs now. I love them. Your more than welcome to come down to RI and take a ride on a snowy road. I'm running 13.50 wide tires now. I do notice that I had better snow traction with the 12.50's I had on the Jeep last winter.

What tires do you have now?

And yes... always on the Cape.... NO MUD TIRES! I got in trouble for that before. The KM 2's would get you in trouble on the beach's soft sand out there too. The KM 2 is a narrow tire. You'd have to run them really low not to burry yourself out there. I've seen many a burried rig out on the Cape Cod Sand Dunes. That place swallows up trucks. We run the RI beaches down here... only the one on Block Island ever got me hung up so far.
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.. A buddy of mine runs those tires, and never thought of those for whatever reason.. I'll definitely check them out...

Right now I'm just running the stock tires that come on the "X", which are awful.. In 4WD, going up my buddies driveway, I slid sideways right off the driveway.. In the middle of the woods in NH, that was bad news...

The no MT on the cape beaches don't make sense at all, which leaves MT's out for me.. Too bad cause they're mean looking from the side... Did they ever give you a reason why?

Originally Posted by Viperdave
deep snow, never thought twice about venturing out in 2 ft of snow... 8-9inches of snow was 2wd drive territory for that tire. They just grab and go. Sand was similar situation. the highway wasnt bad, they are a difficult tire to balance and slightly louder than a BFG a/t but about 100 times better offroad than a BFG a/t At slow speeds (rolling in traffic, due to the design of the tire they are jumpy but thats like 5mph and below

they also worked well at climbing the roommates car...

some mud/ice we went thru

Great pics!! These tires sound like the fit perfectly, though I've been reading different opinions about them and they seem to conflict.. SOme say they're great in the snow, some say theyre not so good.. They all say they kil it in the sand... I run for 2-3 hour stretches to go up north on the highway.. Would you still run the STS's if you did that of HW driving every week?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

The X-terrains also have another bonus. They DO NOT hydroplane at all. The Directional tread is very good on the road. As for tire wear. I wear through about 1/8" every 10,000 miles. on the 33's and a bit less on the 37's.

Quick Reply: Need tire suggestions...