Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need a Spline Kit for new wheels?

Old 08-23-2013, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Spline Kit for new wheels?

So I was on the phone with a guy who I am thinking of purchasing wheels from, one of those bigger tire places here in Canada. Anyways, he was saying that since I am getting aftermarket wheels that I will need a Spline Kit, which I have no idea what this is nor have ever heard of it. So I asked the guy and he said it had something to do with the factory lugs being too small or something.

My question is, what is a spline kit, and do I need one?

Just some additional info, its going on a 2011 JKU, wheel is AX188 Ledge Teflon 16x8.

Thanks, Nick
Old 08-23-2013, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Check out this thread for some info

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...g-nuts-278372/

Many aftermarket wheels have smaller holes for the lug nuts. The factory nuts do not leave enough clearance to get a lug wrench on them. Sometimes you can squeeze in a thin wall socket and use the factory lugs.

Last edited by backwoodjk; 08-23-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

So its basically a smaller lug nut then? Just strange how i've never heard of it before. Is it common for us jeepers to need new lug nuts for wheels?

Or maybe someone with the same wheel can chime in?

Thanks, Nick
Old 08-23-2013, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

It's more common in the import and racing crowds than ours. It will also keep those new wheels safer from theft too.

Quick Reply: Need a Spline Kit for new wheels?