Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need a spare wheel for roof mount, what works?

Old 11-15-2013, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a spare wheel for roof mount, what works?

I have a set of 20" wheels on my rubicon now and having a roofmounted basket done this week to hold the spare. I love the look of no spare on the tailgate. Since the wheel won't be seen, just the tire, what size/brand/model should I get. What's the absolute cheapest wheel I can put on that will hold a 35x12.50? Also, what about going with a smaller tire? Can I run a 32" A/T instead of 35" as a spare? Since the wheel wont match, I wont be rotating all 5 anyways. If I ruin a tire on the trail, can I use a 32" to get back home or to a tire shop?
Old 11-15-2013, 11:08 AM
JK Junkie

You can get a 15x8 up there without issue....just get aluminum since you'll be putting it over top of your head (heavy lifting). I personally run 15x10 wheels with a 15x8 spare (since it is only a spare).

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4
Old 11-15-2013, 11:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Diameter is important. If ur in a sport or Sahara chances are u have a limited slip differential. U will destroy it before you even get home if u run a 35 on one side and a 33 on the other. Along with the diff u will confuse the shit out of your ESP and will probably heat your rotors all the way home cause your computers going to continually apply the brakes to correct the differential calculations. Width isn't a problem .. So if your trying to save weight on your roof.. Get a narrow wheel (a stock wheel works fine) and just run a skinnier tire but make sure the diameter is still as tall as the others
Old 11-15-2013, 11:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Sorry! Correction - just notice u said rubicon. Ok, so the rear end won't have a clutch like the limited slip models.. But I'm sure it would still mess with the esp. Those electronics are sensitive.. Why take a chance
Old 11-15-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Junkie

A narrow tire would work.....check the actual diameter on your 35 and see if you can get away with a 34x9.50 on a 15x8 wheel.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

Quick Reply: Need a spare wheel for roof mount, what works?