Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need someone's technical knowledge

Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need someone's technical knowledge

I know eveybody has all these questions about how to fix their Death Wobble and bump steer. Well I followed most all of the advice that was ligitimate and it has done wonders, but I still have the bump-steer.
I have taken it to a couple of alingment shops here on the Island, and they give it back to me with the same problems. I think I am talking a different language than they are. Every time I ask for any other things I can try and I get the run around about how they can only set it to the stock settings and I shouldn't be messing with the alingment.

Is there anyone on this Forum that has a little more knowedge than setting up the lasers and making the adjustment? I would be very thankful if I could talk to you over the phone and get some realtime advice, so I could explain it correctly and not waste time with everybody's opinion.....

I have all the components upgraded in the front with a few minor exceptions.
If you can help Please send me a PM and I will give you my number or you can give me yours.

Thanks to you
Old 01-13-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Junkie

From looking at your setup, if no one will get the job done right, may be time for you to spend some quality time dialing it in at home. TF should have predetermined lengths to set the arms on their site. You can set your caster or tire location in the wheel well to an exact specification anyway with a full set of adjustables.

But for bump steer, if you ended up with more lift than 3in maybe a high steer kit or knuckles is worth a shot.

It is still quite odd that a shop would find it difficult to make everything ride correctly. Do they have no clue at all??? Have you also seen the alignment write up on the Project-JK site??? Just making sure
Old 01-13-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's just it, I already have the
Tera Flex:
Adjustable Arms (set to length)
High-Steer Draglink
Heavy Duty Track Bar
3 inch Lift Springs
Heavy Duty Steering Stabilizer
Rock Krawler :
Heavy Duty Tie Rod

Welded supports on the C-Gussets

I am looking for someone that can give me some fine tune advise, that I will do at home. And no, I don't think the shops get the point of what I am trying to tell them.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

How do all the mounting locations look, any wallowing or ovaling???

I am just so curious!!! How can everything be adjustable and there still be an issue???
Old 01-13-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa29560
How do all the mounting locations look, any wallowing or ovaling???

I am just so curious!!! How can everything be adjustable and there still be an issue???
No Wallowing or Ovaling. All the bolts are tight torqued and double checked.
All the components are less than 6 months old.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your caster set to +6°~8°? If not, then that might be it.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Take a look at your front geometry:
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3016...02496289IjoMUo
Guessing it is something to do with your angles.

Then read this one in the Suspension Faq's:
Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?
You're sure it's bumpsteer and not flightyness from low caster? If you are at 'stock' caster, you are probably too low.

And then move on to this one:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Since your shops can't figure out how to do anything other than stock specs, do it yourself.

Which shops are you using, btw? I had good luck with maui offroad. It was many years ago, but a 4x4 shop is much more likely to have a clue that a generic alignment shop.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-13-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Need someone's technical knowledge