Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need some quick advice from a suspension guru

Old 09-04-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some quick advice from a suspension guru

I have front and rear full traction trackbars the front track bar heim joint has a little bit of play in it and it bothers me. Tomorrow I have to make a 1800km drive across BC, to get a new leg built for me, and I was wondering if anyone knows if the hiem joints could be swapped around? Obviously there is more stress placed on the front track bar than the rear and I am sure it wont fail but it would give me piece of mind if they were switched around. I am so busy packing (this trip came out of nowhere) that I dont want to take it apart and find out they arnt the same.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance
Kevin
Old 09-04-2009, 06:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where exactly is the play, the joint itself, side to side Or the rod end where it screws into the bar? Have you tryed retorque' n it?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:04 PM
JK Junkie

in the baal and socket. I take the bar out and pull off the two spacers (1 on either side of the ball) and the ball has some play in the hiem end and it looks like some sort of material or something is comming out from in between the two
Old 09-04-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Hmm, that doesn't sound good. I know FT had probs with bad poly bushings for awhile on control arms but the heim joint is different. But it sounds like the bushing part of the heim joint is bad or coming apart. I wouldn't drive it that way.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:25 PM
JK Junkie

i know I am so bothered by it and I have to go other wise I ave no prosthetic leg... do you think FT used the same hiem in both the front and the rear track bars?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

I honestly don't know, but driving with a bad bushing on the trackbar frt or rear would be bad. If it goes on the way there you'll be in more trouble.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Is there anyone you could call and get a ride? Borrow, maybe rent a car?

Last edited by mkjeep; 09-04-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Need some quick advice from a suspension guru