Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Some Info

Old 11-20-2009, 09:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're trying to go from a 4" lift to a 6", poly spacers/body lifts are an option, and relatively cheap. I've been debating it, I already have a 4" tuff country system. I'm running 35's, just out of curiosity why are you completely set on 40" tires?

I MIGHT consider 37's after I get 5k for the RIPP supercharger but I can't see a point in 40's unless you've got a tricked out bank account and go off-road EVERY weekend.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

im not set on 40's......i might want 42's.....where i wheel , its ruff and the bad ass look of it is a factor
Old 11-20-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

Well I guess the fastest way there would be to get rid of the fenders completely, swap in d44's with 5.13's or higher, reinforce the hell out of them and get swampin
Old 11-20-2009, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Save money. Don't change the suspension and install an 8" body lift
Old 11-21-2009, 03:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Old 11-21-2009, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gutter21
Old 11-21-2009, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JPTwinz
Is this similar to what you want it to look like?

If so, here is what you need.....

First of all, I did 3 solid months of research on which lift to go with. I lurked on this forum since late 2008 and finally pulled the trigger on a TeraFlex 6" long arm suspension system. They call it a 'system' because it is MUCH more than just a 'kit'. They include all of the suspension componenets that you need to properly lift a Jeep that high in order to compensate for control arm adjustments, steering, component clearance, etc.

Another HUGE factor is that TeraFlex SUPPORTS thier product. If by chance you actually break something...call them up! Plus their rep, Joe Thompson is very active on this forum and always there to answer questions.

Now as far as extras you'll need outside of the suspension lift...
~ Plan on needing new driveshafts front AND rear
~ New gears front AND rear - go with 5.13 or 5.38 (I run Yukon 5.13s)
~ Choose your tires wisely - 40's retail anywhere from $400-$1000 each and you'll need 5 of them! Disocunt Tire is probably one fo the best resources and they offer tire warranties. Discount Tire Direct is a sponsoring vendor of this forum
~ Performance upgrades like an intake and exhaust can't hurt to help bring the power back up from the big tires. I also added a Superchip Flashpaq programmer which allows you to recalibrate your computer in order to compensate for the larger tires and gear change. It also has several programs built in so you can select the mode you want to run.

This also assumes that you have at least Dana 44 axles front and rear. If you don't, a 40" tire may be too much for it to handle off-road. I personally know people running 40's on a D30 but the Jeep sees more pavement than dirt. I upgraded to RCV Performance CV style front axle shafts in order to buy some time on the things that break most often. Dana 60s are in my future but not just yet.

Good luck!
If you ask the above poster im preety sure i saw him say he has broken shafts before

now i have a d30 in front....i would love d60, but they are a bit pricey.....i plan on going with 5.13 and def front and rear shafts....
To run 40's and wheel it everything is going to be pricey

i def know i have to upgrade everything......what order should i do things.....i reaaly dont have the money to spend on d60's.......what other options are there
A jeep to wheel 40's is always going to cost money, if you wheel it you will break things so you will need money, like Joe said upgrade your credit card you really need to think of what you want verses what you can afford all joking aside
Old 11-21-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

i understand that......this isn't my daily driver, so i can afford to be out of commision for awhile......i want to make sure i do it right, but know it is expensive. thats why im looking for suggestions from everyone.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Well some universal parts that could stay with you through the upgrades would be new drive shafts (Tom Woods probably best bet), 5.13 or higher gearing (Yukon w/Timken bearings), d44's front and rear, and new fenders if your state req. them. All of those are in my next years budget and I'm just trying to move up to 37's.

Good Luck
Old 11-22-2009, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i understand that......this isn't my daily driver, so i can afford to be out of commision for awhile......i want to make sure i do it right, but know it is expensive. thats why im looking for suggestions from everyone.
Then take my advice bro.....been there and back!!

The TeraFlex 6" long arm kit actually includes everything you need for proper suspension geometry all the way down to the stainless steel brakelines. Just add driveshafts (TeraFlex of course like mine ), gears, wheels & tires and out of the box you will have SOOOO much fun!!! A 6" suspension system with 40" tires is cheating on most rock trails since you don't scrape and what use to look like a big rock now becomes a baby. Beyond that, it just comes down to driver experience and picking the right line.

Quick Reply: Need Some Info