Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Some Info

Old 11-18-2009, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Info

Wanting to upgrade to a 6 inch lift and 40's, What will be required.....i have a 09 x with a procomp stage 2 kit .......i know i need gears.....will i need a new front carrier?.......i know i need drivshafts---mine are clunking now with a 4 inch lift .....what else will i need and what do you guys suggest
Old 11-18-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Axle reinforcement -- D44's minimum, EVO c-gussets, EVO axle reinforcing inner tubes, maybe stronger u-joints, maybe stronger inner axle shafts. Everything else is just like any other lift/tire -- control arms, track bars, brake lines, driveshafts, gears, coils, drop pitman arm etc.

I would focus on strenghting the axles.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:45 AM
JK Junkie

also a good credit card for the gas !!!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:37 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by gutter21
Wanting to upgrade to a 6 inch lift and 40's, What will be required.....i have a 09 x with a procomp stage 2 kit .......i know i need gears.....will i need a new front carrier?.......i know i need drivshafts---mine are clunking now with a 4 inch lift .....what else will i need and what do you guys suggest
What gears do you have now? 3.21's on a front D30 are the only ones that require a new carrier. 3.73 and 4.10 do not.

Read through the Suspension and Drivetrain Faq's
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/modified-tech-faq-answers-questions-every-newbie-has-18617/

Use the info here:
Q: What are all the components that I will need with a 4" lift?
as the basis for your 6" build.
(I have not looked into longarm kits, but I would assume that they are pretty complete for the hefty price tags involved)

Plan on as many axle upgrades as you can afford.
Plan on chopping your fenders or going to flats.
And plan on destroying that D30 and upgrading to a D60...

The folks at SLC seem to be pretty good at answering questions and walking through builds, may be worth your time to call or message them. Same with the TeraFlex and Northridge sponsors. Plenty of resources available to help ya...

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-18-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

THANKS FOR SOME OF THE INFO ........iM LOOKING ON WHAT I SHOULD START WITH AS IM NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO SO THIS ALL AT ONCE

MY THOUGHTS ARE:

1 GO WITH NEW GEARS - I CAN RUN THEM WITH MY SET UP

2 GET DRIVE SHAFTS - I NEED THEM NOW - ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO GET

3. AXLE UPGRADES- NEED SOME MORE INFO ON THIS

4. LIFT - SHOULD I ADD TO MINE OR GO ALL NEW

ANY THING ELSE YOU GUYS THINK I SHOILD TROW IN THERE .....MABE SOMEONE WHO HAS DONE SOMTHING LIKE THIS ( NOT ALL AT ONCE )

I'M PRETTY MACHANICALLY INCLINE SO I WILL BE DUING EVERYTHING MYSELF WITH THE HELP OF SOME FRIENDS
Old 11-18-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gutter21
i would say you need d60's to run 40's, but thats just my .02
Old 11-18-2009, 05:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 08leocon
i would say you need d60's to run 40's, but thats just my .02
Yep, 40's on a D30 with 5.13's is just asking for trouble. Spend the axle 'beefing up' money on a new D60, or at least a built 44. (instead of throwing money into gears/gussets/alloys/sleeves/truss, blowing it up anyway, and then buying the axle you should have started with.)

Check post #5 here. May as well read the whole thread while you're at it. (D44 with chromoly shafts)
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/37s-d30s-105661/

If you're set on a D30 upgrade, try:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ighlight=build
There are a bunch of axle build-up threads, just do some searching. (there was one in particular, title was something like "my cute little d44 build-up" or something similar. Good info, but didn't locate it)

For the driveshafts, they'll need to know the lengths, so wait until you decide on your new lift so you can get the right measurements.

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-18-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

not really set on beefing up the d30......thats what im here for ......just looking for the best road to take .....i need to do this in steps since im not rich .....what do you guys think i should do first
Old 11-19-2009, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

after reading some more post.......yuo think i should change the rear also....now its a d44
Old 11-19-2009, 07:17 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5:38's, TeraFlex 6" LA kit, plan on 60's, beef your current axles up. Tranny cooler if it's a auto, upgraded credit card. Take a look at JPTwinz JK.

Quick Reply: Need Some Info