Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need some help for the wheel questions!

Old 04-05-2010, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help for the wheel questions!

I am running 37" tires on AEV +10mm wheels with total of 4.5" lift height( RE 3.5" plus 1" BL). The problem is that I found out my car runs as not gravity as running 33" tires, and I even felt my car gets "floating" over the speed of 60mph. What causes for such issues, are my current wheels dont have enough offset number?
So a set of bigger offset number wheels will provide better road handling ability?
Thanks!!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I was just saying my Jeep... haha, I already changed the front bumper as well as the steel plate guard under the bumper.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe by lack of "gravity" or "floating" you mean the steering wanders or it has a flighty feeling. That is probably due to insufficient Caster angle.

Did you use the cam bolts or do you have adjustable control arms?

Have you checked your alignment?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by spinlock
I believe by lack of "gravity" or "floating" you mean the steering wanders or it has a flighty feeling. That is probably due to insufficient Caster angle.

Insufficient caster is right on! You will need adj control arms to reset your caster.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am using cam bolts provided by RE 3.5" lift kit, in fact, I didn't have that kind of flighty feeling before I moved to 37". I used to run 33" with same lift height as right now.
I have another question: is the flighty feeling caused by the new tires? I am using 17X8.5 AEV +10mm wheels, as the matter of fact, the tires are a little bit like ballooning.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinlock

In fact, I really don't understand what will the cam bolts do, I just replaced the factory bolts with the cam bolts provided by the new lift kit. What is the correct way to install and adjust the cam bolts? Thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yesterday, I adjusted the toes and balance of the jeep, and I also changed my AEV+10mm wheels to a set of XD -12mm wheels; Now it drives much better, in fact, I used to use only one steering stabilizer which is the skyjacker one instead of the stock one, but now I think I should add one more to get more handling.

Quick Reply: Need some help for the wheel questions!