Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need some help with pr44?

Old 01-01-2012, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bad alignment will cause this, you said that you had to correct the steering wheel did you check your toe setting. Also as Dynatrac said did you get one of the housings with added caster? If so with the AEV drop brackets your caster would be way off. The axle is already corrected for caster the same thing the AEV brackets are doing. Since you have stock control arms, and possibly an axle with added caster then you might need to take off the correction brackets.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

But wouldn't the additional caster cause it to snap back to center 'more'? From what the op is describing, that doesn't sound like the case? My buddy had the unlimited pr44 with the aev drop brackets and the caster was indeed around 8. Didn't really cause a problem (...yet), except for returning to center harder than stock. I think the op also said he has a rock krawler lift anyway. My guess would be toe out?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

No I don't have a lift at all my jeep is completely stock with a pr44 unlimited bolted up. I'm carrying it to the gear shop in a couple of days then I'm going to install my 3.5in x factor lift along with my 37s and then I'm taking it to a alignment shop hopefully after that all will be good
Old 01-01-2012, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

Did you get the Dynatrac prosteer ball joints with the pr 44? If so that is likely your problem. I had the same issue after installing my pr 44. They are very tight when new. It took about 500 to 750 miles to break in, now the steering is great. I hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

Cool

Originally Posted by internski
You need adjustable control arms with the unlimited. Read the info on Dynatrac's webpage, it specifically calls this out. For this reason I'm ordering their standard housing.

I have the AEV 3.5" lift with control arm drop brackets. Thus I run the stock geometry.
I would rethink that... When you install a cardan style front drive shaft you need to adjust the pinion angle for 0° which puts castor at ~ 1.5°, but with 8° you'll end up around 4° to 6° of castor which is just right to keep everybody happy and you going down the road without feeling "twitchy"

from the peanut gallery
Old 01-15-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 69mach1

I would rethink that... When you install a cardan style front drive shaft you need to adjust the pinion angle for 0° which puts castor at ~ 1.5°, but with 8° you'll end up around 4° to 6° of castor which is just right to keep everybody happy and you going down the road without feeling "twitchy"

from the peanut gallery
Agreed. I have the same exact lift (3.5 AEV) and have the unlimited PR44 installed running RK lower adjustable control arms along with the drop brackets. It handles like a dream
Old 01-15-2012, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

how much was your pr44 if you dont mind me asking

Quick Reply: Need some help with pr44?