Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

need some help with mods

Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need some help with mods

hey everyone i own a 08 rubi unlimited and am getting ready to start the modding. i already know basically what i want but i just want to make sure that everything im looking at will work well together and im looking for opinions on which brand or types are better. first i was a lift about 3.5 to 4 that will be good for faster offroading threw woods, on snow and sand. i guess you would call that a prerunner system? im looking to get 37's ( i know i will need to trim). what type of tires should i be looking at. i will also be running flat fenders. i have been looking at the teraflex prerunner and then http://www.rockkrawler.com/?r_intro=1 is it overkill? the bumpers i dont think need and specific brand but what are sum of the better and more popular ones? i will also be getting a trektop soft top. i want to get a AEV snorkel and the mrbp or sumthing exhaust that i heard in a video .my jeep is Manuel so i have already decided on the 5.13's for gearing. any preferences on the winches, because i know nothing about them hahaa. i definatly will be getting some lights but i want to upgrade to either HID's or LED's not sure which one is better, or how they differ. I am going to have the shop beef up my d44's should i do both the front and back? i will also be doing a sport cage, any preferences on which is best would be much appreciated. any and ALL info and advice positive or negative would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by mkjeep; 03-15-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: banned member mention
Old 03-14-2011, 09:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a good 4" lift with flat fenders will easily clear 37's.

Everyone will have opinions on all your other stuff. I also have an Unlimited Rubicon that's pretty mod'ed. I run a D60 rear. and a 4.5" lift. If you want to run high speed a long arm kit will be best. Also, remote reservior shocks would be best, but coilovers would be ideal. I run coilovers on my TJ and I can smoke every other jeep I run with on the open forest stuff. I am not kidding. I run a lot of mods on that jeep but the coilovers make a huge difference with high speed control.

If you know what you want to do, build it the right way. Also with your winch, get rope instead of cable to keep weight off your front end.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A slightly shorter lift with flats would be a better option, unless you need the extra height for some reason.
Any of the complete lift systems would be ok. If you have the money, a longarm would be great. Whichever you choose, add some TF speedbumps or something similar.
5.13s are a good ratio for manuals with 37's. If you plan on jumping the dunes or getting stupid in the rocks, you might consider dropping down to 4.88 for the larger pinion.
You might also consider a bare PR44 housing to swap your rubi components into. That would be a much better option for high speed hits than a beefed up stock housing.
Haven't seen many rear housing issues, but certainly wouldn't hurt to beef it up some.
Warn is still the top dog for winches. It is also the most expensive. If you don't have a budget, that is the one you want. If you do have a budget, there are quite a few lower priced winches on the market that would serve you well. Recon has been brought up quite a bit recently. And Rough Country just released their own line. No reviews on them yet, but they may be worth a look.
Tires for woods/snow/sand? Doesn't sound like you need a really aggressive mudder. Maybe the mtr/k? Or there have been some good reviews on the Falken Wildpeak, if you want an AT. For the more aggressive mt's, toyo has a great rep. And I dig the Pitbulls!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

when you say use rope on winch, will there be any more differences? i am really focust on the JK 3.5 TRIPLE THREAT PRO LONG ARM SYSTEM. for 37's what rim size should i be looking at? i dont want sum little rims and i dont want big flashy ones either.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmpppppppp
Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by srt8ftw
when you say use rope on winch, will there be any more differences? i am really focust on the JK 3.5 TRIPLE THREAT PRO LONG ARM SYSTEM. for 37's what rim size should i be looking at? i dont want sum little rims and i dont want big flashy ones either.
17 inch rims with 37's ook great in my opinion...and 15;s are too small...20's look good but not on a jeep
Old 03-15-2011, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend 17's. The tires are not too expensive and look balanced. The 'rope' he was referring to, is a synthetic winch line. Very nice and safe just more expensive.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

o sounds good what about that lift, im looking for sum good heavy duty bumpers but the goal is to keep the jeep as light as possible. im not trying to weigh it down by making it a tank.

Last edited by mkjeep; 03-15-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: banned member pic
Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Fab Fours lifestyle front bumper with stinger and a Rock Hard 4X4 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier and love them both.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2252998656.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	138486   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3433088406.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	138487  
Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

those look really nice but i think im looking for sumthing smaller as seen on HM jeep, any other suggestions on anything???

Quick Reply: need some help with mods