Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need some help deciding on a lift kit!

Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe1992
Ok, so I am planning on lifting my 2012 2-door sport. My budget is about $5000.

My dealership quoted me at $3700 to install a Mopar Stage 3 series 3" suspension lift.
Here is a link to the kit -> MOPAR P5156140 - MOPAR® Performance 3" Lift Kit with Fox Shocks for 12-13 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec
I'm thinking that's quite a high number that they came up with for that kit. It's non-adjustable, short-arm and has no track-bars and seems kind of incomplete. It's a teraflex kit with Fox shocks that's made exclusively for dealerships to offer customers without a warranty-void, I think.

I'm thinking I'd rather go with a long-arm kit from Rock Krawler or AEV or even a real TeraFlex kit.

Does anybody have a kit that they would recommend for a 2-door? I'm looking to put 2.5"-3.5" of lift on the suspension and put it on 35" tires. Think it's possible to do that with a $5000 budget? If so, if I have some money left over, do you think I should re-gear? It came with 3.21s. Should I upgrade the driveshafts? It's not a rubicon, so what else would you recommend to make a sport more trail-worthy?

Anyone have experience lifting a sport rather than a rubi? If so I would really appreciate hearing about your set-up and how you like it.
We have a 2.5" coil lift for a 2 door in stock and plenty of the 3" Teraflex coil lift kits in stock along with the Fox 2.0 shocks. I could probably get you a better suspension setup for more than half the cost of what the mopar one cost's. With the 2012 you can get away without having to re-gear due to the newer engine, but since you mentioned you have 3.21 gears I would recommend re-gearing. As far as drive shafts I wouldn't worry about upgrading them unless your lift exceeds 3.5". And we have several shop locations here in San Diego that can install everything for you. Just send me a PM for any other questions.

-Trevor

Last edited by ORWJK; 05-09-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The on road / off road handling of the AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT is very good and worth every penny. People like to hate on AEV because of the drop brackets. I agree I was not a fan on that idea either so I went with rock krawler high clearance adjustable lower control arms. Problem solved. I also used JKS quicker discos instead of the sway bar link brackets.

Most people that hate AEV have never driven an AEV lifted jeep. I was one of those people. Body roll and nose dive are gone! The cornering and handling of the jeep is amazing. The reason I choose AEV was because I have a 2 door JK automatic and they were the only big company that geared lifts specifically for a 2 door and would give me an accurate lift hight. I did not want to go above three inches. I got exactly 3 inches of lift out of this kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1506148534.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	456023   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3156676969.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	456024  
Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by newbiejeeper
The on road / off road handling of the AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT is very good and worth every penny. People like to hate on AEV because of the drop brackets. I agree I was not a fan on that idea either so I went with rock krawler high clearance adjustable lower control arms. Problem solved. I also used JKS quicker discos instead of the sway bar link brackets.

Most people that hate AEV have never driven an AEV lifted jeep. I was one of those people. Body roll and nose dive are gone! The cornering and handling of the jeep is amazing. The reason I choose AEV was because I have a 2 door JK automatic and they were the only big company that geared lifts specifically for a 2 door and would give me an accurate lift hight. I did not want to go above three inches. I got exactly 3 inches of lift out of this kit.
On road AEV's lifts are far by the best ride. My dad has the 3.5" AEV with bilstein 5160's on his jeep and it's a such a better ride than mine. It really just depends how much your willing to spend on a lift kit.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RockKrawler 2.5" max travel with recommended bilsteins

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130509_114735.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	456060
Old 05-11-2013, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks nice man...that rock pile looks familiar.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

Keep the height as LOW as possible (ie MCE flats, JKS ACOS, etc)
Old 05-12-2013, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

I second this. I just ordered the AEV 2.5 Dualsport for my JKU and I am super excited. My rig is my DD but I absolutely plan on wheeling it as much as possible. My main concern is on road handling and I don't live near rocks. I could see the drop brackets being a hindrance for some people but also an easy fix. Won't hurt me much though.
The funny thing is, I have seen so many people on this and other forum's bashing AEV, yet I can't count how many times people have said to drive the rig stock for awhile and they'll be amazed at what it can do. Well if that's the case, I can't imagine the AEV stuff would be a detriment as its obviously an improvement over stock. I think it gets a bad rap. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Need some help deciding on a lift kit!