Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need some guidance on my BB decision...........

Old 06-05-2008, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some guidance on my BB decision...........

OK, I'm trying to decide between the Rough Country 2.5" Budget Boost with the 2.2 shocks($300), or the 2" Rubicon Express Budget Boost with the mono tube shocks($480). For now I'm gonna run a 33x12.5R17 with around 4.5" backspacing on 17x8.5's. What are your thoughts? Does anyone know if these 2.2 shocks are mono tube shocks and if you buy the 2.2's with the RC lift, you don't have to use those lame looking shock extenders right? I know Rubicon Express is very proud of their stuff, so is their setup really worth the extra $ for .5" less or am I missing something here. Also, is an adjustable track bar needed for either or recommended? If so, what are some good ones? Anyone like any other BB better?
Old 06-05-2008, 05:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

VIDEO: $300 Rough Country 2,5" BB w/2.2 shocks...
Old 06-05-2008, 08:50 PM
JK Freak

I installed the Rubicon Express BB with monotube shocks last week. The front spacers are 2-1/2" and the rear spacers are 1-3/4". This helps take out the rake. I don't know if RC does that. As for the need for a track bar, I didn't have a visible shift on the front or rear axles. The ride is also better than stock. Right now I have 285/75/16 which is a 32.8" tire. Here's the best I can do for before and after shots right now.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by husker_shoe
... if you buy the 2.2's with the RC lift, you don't have to use those lame looking shock extenders right? ...
You won't use the shock extenders with the 2.2 shocks.

FYI, there seem to be quite a bit of variation on where your rake will end up after doing a lift. I have the RC 2.5 (and the 2.2 shocks). I also have a Shrockworks mid-width bumper and a PowerPlant with a synthetic line and aluminum fairlead. There are also Shrockworks rock rails. Consensus is that with all of that hardware on the front end I will need a spacer to bring it back up. However, a level on the rock rails in a level parking lot is perfectly level. Perfectly. No additional spacer needed.

I also did not change the trackbar and have not noticed significant axle shift.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:37 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the RE BB and 33x12.5's. It leveled out SOME of the rake, not all. After settling in, i will need to add a spacer up front to bring it back to level. Also, my axles DID shift noticably (to me) so i am glad i added the Adj. bars at the same time.

I dont dislike the lift, it's fine, the ride is nice, shocks are fine etc. and I am pleased with how it turned out. But if i had it to do over again? I wouldn't buy the RE lift. Why? Because it didnt pan out leveling the rake for me (others as mentioned above had better luck) which was a big part of my decision at the time. I added the price of leveling pucks to the other options as my rake was substantial, when i did that, the RE lift seemed to be a better option. As it turns out, had to buy the dumb spacers anyhow, so it was more expensive.

To go back in time, I would go with a spring lift over pucks. But that is just me, I want more lift, so I am biased. IMHO pucks are pucks are pucks. It doesnt matter who's name is on them one bit, but you'll pay for it just the same. So the cheapest one you can find would be my recommendation. If you still end up with a rake that bugs you, add spacers.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Thanks alot for the input and pictures were great! Sounds like most of the leveling issues are related to aftermarket bumpers and weight difference that's created.

Quick Reply: Need some guidance on my BB decision...........