Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Some Answers Prior to Next Weekend's Install

Old 01-27-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input Needed on TF 2.5" Coil and Nittos

Hey guys,

Pretty excited that I have my Teraflex 2.5" coil lift w/shocks lined up to be installed next week to put me one step closer to getting her on 35's, but then I got some great news last night - received a spot bonus at work that will fund all 5 tires and can distribute the remaining balance to the wife to be used as she chooses. So, I am down to a few questions about the lift and tire selection and I am caught in a loop trying to find all of the answers. So, this is a 'brain dump' of questions that are swirling in my head and if any of you can help, it would be greatly appreciated as always. I CANNOT wait to differentiate myself from any other local JK and somehow, there are two other 4 door Steel Blues here at work that I have to obtain the overall advantage

So first off - the Teraflex 2.5" Coil lift w/shock kit:

Q: I have read that there may be rubbing in the rear with stock wheels/tires post-install. I have the Sahara 18's with stock Duellers - will this be a definite issue until I can get to my local tire shop to have my new wheels and tires installed w/o buying spacers or reversing how the sway bar links are bolted-on? Once the lift is installed, I want to avoid any re-work if possible.

Now onto Nitto Trail Grapplers 35X12.50X17:

Q: I've read to run these tires between 28 - 32 psi. This is my DD and I drive 44 miles roundtrip each day. Any opinions please? How often should I rotate them - 4K, 5K.....

Q: It appears that Discount Tire Mail Direct will get me in at the lowest cost at $285 shipped per tire and if you buy 5, you get an additional $50 off as a member of this forum. Sure it will cost $20 per tire to mount, balance, etc... Also checked another online offroad vendor, but they do not offer the $50 discount, plus I have piece of mind having these installed at my local Discount Tire and take advantage of lift time balancing and rotation. If there is a better option - let me know

Q: I am going with Rugged Ridge black satin 17X9's - any opinions around lug nuts? Currently have the OEM ones with Mopar wheel locks.

Q: Does anyone know if the 5th tire will fit on the stock tire carrier or do I have to just wait and see? Not ready to buy the rear matching RR XHD with tire carrier, but I've seen low-cost alternatives like the MBRP extender or the Smittybilt carrier that retains the 3rd brake light, etc....

That's it until I can get the lift installed and get the tires ordered hopefully, this week.

Thanks everyone!!!

Last edited by uncc03; 01-27-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

I installed the same lift on my 2011 Rubi Unlimited, and ran my stock wheels and tires for about 2 weeks until my aftermarket wheels and 33's came in. I had no rubbing issues with anything, and after the new wheels and tires were installed I have no issues as well. I keep seeing where people say there is a rubbing issue with this kit, but I guess I was one of the lucky ones as it went on great, and the ride is still great. Good luck with your install.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses thus far. Renaming the title to hopefully improve exposure.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

One thing I learned the hard way was to make sure you loosen ALL suspension parts (LCAs UCAs, track bars etc.) and retorque them to spec once the weight is on the axles after new height is established. I had to go back and do it 2 weeks after the fact, and cut the $hit out of my hands breaking this stuff loose with the tires on. Much easier to break and retorque all this stuff with wheels off. Have fun with the install and be sure the beer fridge is stocked up. I also have 18"s and have no rub issues....I think the issue comes with small wheels....I think.

Quick Reply: Need Some Answers Prior to Next Weekend's Install