Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need some advice on tires

Old 04-27-2015, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on tires

So I took my new JKU off road for the first time and slid all over. I'm currently running Good year armortrac 285 70 17.
So now it's time for better tires as these were never a permanent solution.
I live in the south east and I'll be doing most of my trailing in Uwharrie. It's a daily driver as well.
I'm torn between the KO2s and the Duratrac. I know neither will be good in mud like it was there on Sunday.
Its a lot of rock and clay.
The BFG is a E rated and the Goodyear is a D. How much will that affect how I have to air down? I had to put the Armortracs at 10 psi to grip anything and that lowered my axle a lot.
I know the KO2 is pretty new but I'm hoping someone has some solid feedback on how they perform compared to the Duratracs.
Thanks
Old 04-27-2015, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaysop
So I took my new JKU off road for the first time and slid all over. I'm currently running Good year armortrac 285 70 17.
So now it's time for better tires as these were never a permanent solution.
I live in the south east and I'll be doing most of my trailing in Uwharrie. It's a daily driver as well.
I'm torn between the KO2s and the Duratrac. I know neither will be good in mud like it was there on Sunday.
Its a lot of rock and clay.
The BFG is a E rated and the Goodyear is a D. How much will that affect how I have to air down? I had to put the Armortracs at 10 psi to grip anything and that lowered my axle a lot.
I know the KO2 is pretty new but I'm hoping someone has some solid feedback on how they perform compared to the Duratracs.
Thanks

Checkout the Hankook Dynapro MT(RT03). I was a die hard BFG guy for 20+ years. I let a tire shop here local talk me into these tires. I have never looked back these are amazing. I have 39k on them and 40-45% tread still on them. I off road at least once a month with air down being required at least 3-4 times a year. Down to about 12-15lbs and have no issues. They are quiet. Great traction. I even sipped mine since I was going out of my comfort zone and I have no regrets. I have a 2012 Jeep unlimited Rubicon with Rock Krawler 3.5 mid arm lift 4.10s.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:43 PM
Former Member

stay away from BFGs !!!
Old 04-27-2015, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Muscles
stay away from BFGs !!!
Care to provide more infor ive been running BFG KOs for 60000 miles and yet to have a single problem as well as on my dads truck for several sets.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Muscles
stay away from BFGs !!!
Yea I've never heard anything bad about BFG. I just don't know if the KO2S will give me the traction I need.
I never hear anything bad about Michelin products or their CS
Old 04-27-2015, 07:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bfdfreddie

Checkout the Hankook Dynapro MT(RT03). I was a die hard BFG guy for 20+ years. I let a tire shop here local talk me into these tires. I have never looked back these are amazing. I have 39k on them and 40-45% tread still on them. I off road at least once a month with air down being required at least 3-4 times a year. Down to about 12-15lbs and have no issues. They are quiet. Great traction. I even sipped mine since I was going out of my comfort zone and I have no regrets. I have a 2012 Jeep unlimited Rubicon with Rock Krawler 3.5 mid arm lift 4.10s.
I just saw these and was wondering about them.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:45 PM
cfr
JK Freak

I have only run the Goodyear SR-A, Goodyear DuraTrac, and the TreadWright Guard Dog M/T but I've seen the BFG KO (not KO2) on the trail many times.

The DuraTrac is an excellent all-around tire for everything except nasty mud. We don't have much mud in Colorado, so I've only been through two serious mud holes and made it out just fine. It is an outstanding tire on the road in water and snow (snowflake symbol).
Old 04-28-2015, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Go with Duratrac if you want more aggressive than an all terrain tire.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:11 AM
JK Jedi

My Jeep is my daily driver. I run Toyo Open Country MTs (35x12.5-18) and have 54K miles on them. I rotate all 5 of them in. They have served me well at Uwharrie.

Notes:
  • They are load range E
  • They are heavy
  • They do not flex with lower pressure as a D range tire would (I run 15 psi in mine at Uwharrie)
  • They are good on and off road
  • They can get some tire chunking on rocks if you wheel hard (but nothing too bad)
  • The tires are quiet for the first 40K miles and then get loud
  • They offer tires in your size.

I will purchase these again when I replace this set. My plan is to get 60K out of these although there will still be plenty of tread left.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2015, 05:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Duratracs are one of the best all around tires made. You will not go wrong if you choose them. Personally I would avoid E rated tires, they are just too stiff for off roading and you will have better results with a D or even better a C rated tire. You will also get a better ride on the road unless you like taking curves at high speed.

Good luck with your choice, tires will be one of the best mods you can do for off road performance.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on tires