Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need some advice on lockers

Old 09-03-2011, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on lockers

All,

The short version is that I just busted the front e-locker on my 2007 2-dr Rubi. It will be brutally expensive to repair it. As I have been saving up for a Pro Rock axle for quite a while, I am figuring out what to do when I upgrade the front end.

I haven't decided on ProRock 44 or 60 yet but I want manual hubs and big brakes which I think will push me towards the 60 (only thing making me hesitate is that I like to keep the unsprung weight as low as possible).

Regardless, I also have to make a decision on lockers.

The Jeep is my daily driver and I take it up to the Sierra most weekends in the ski season (slippery roads and 4 wd or chains frequently mandated by CA regardless of whether necessary or not).

That usage makes me think that automatic (Detroit) lockers wouldn't be the best choice.

I'd prefer to minimize complexity in selectable lockers. It is ESSENTIAL that anything I fit can be rebuilt for a reasonable cost by a competent home mechanic. (I don'd mind laying down the $$ initially for a good quality product but I expect to be able to buy replacement parts later for a reasonable amount and not have to replace the entire carrier for a small part failure.

All this is leading me to think that an ARB air locker is the way to go front and rear.

Can anyone with more experience chip in - especially if there are other good options that I have overlooked.

Thanks,

Steve

(p.s. My research so far covered Eaton e-lockers, ARB air lockers, Detroit, lunchbox, aussie and Lincoln. They weren't all serious contenders but I read about all of them)
Old 09-03-2011, 10:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tech/d...ts-lockers-101

ARB would be your best bet. And depending on your needs, you could do a little research on the TrueTrac also.

You are planning on a complete new axle right? And not swapping what's left of your rubi parts into the rubi version of the pr44?
Not sure about the brakes, but you can get manual hubs with the pr44.

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-03-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear Trutracs are very durable, but not rebuildable.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Ran one for 10 years in the front of my full size dodge on 37's. No clutches or cables or air lines or special parts, so nothing to wear out and 'need' to be rebuilt. Sounds like you want something with a higher chance of failure, so you're on the right track with a selectable I guess.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks

Thank for the suggestions and feedback. I ent back and read the Truetrac info - I think I want a true selectable but hear what you're saying about reliability of selectable versus automatic.

I also looked at Ox which hadn't been on my list before. That was a goiod suggestion but having spend a good long time reading I still think I will go with ARB and see how that works out for me.

To whoever it wqas that asked. The plan (at the moment anyway) is just replace the whole axle front and back (I'm leaning more towards a PR60 on each end but haven't decided finally yet).

Even if I go with PR44, I'll probably replace the axle completely as I don't want the e-locker and by the time I have made all the upgrades I want it's not going to save me muc/anything in switching over the axle internals so I'll just sell the take-off whole when the time comes.

Thanks again - Steve
Old 09-15-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

When i was shopping lockers, i definitely wanted a selectable for winter driving. I was undecided between the ARB and OX but decided on the ARB because of the extra benefit of on board air. I also talked to an installer who have worked with both and the OX cable has to be setup perfectly to engage smoothly. Plus you'll need a place for 2 levers in the cab for the OX which takes up more room than a few toggle switches for the ARB.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm going with e lockers. No cables or on board air. Just 2wires and switches in the cab. Putting them in both the front and rear.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:32 AM
JK Super Freak

I like my detroit in the rear, mine is a DD and I barely notice it unless I make tight turns where it will click, but I learned to take turns slower. does amazing on the trail. I would do one in the front in a sec if I didn't have a lowly D30. Haven't had it for a winter yet, but I dont drive like an idiot so I should be OK.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

curious, how'd you break your stock locker?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bosox5
I like my detroit in the rear, mine is a DD and I barely notice it unless I make tight turns where it will click, but I learned to take turns slower. does amazing on the trail. I would do one in the front in a sec if I didn't have a lowly D30. Haven't had it for a winter yet, but I dont drive like an idiot so I should be OK.
Winter driving has me a little leary of installing a Detroit in the back of my 2-door.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on lockers