Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need some advice on how to fix this...

Old 11-01-2012, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on how to fix this...

Hey guys...

I have a 2013 Rubicon. I just had a 3.5 Rock Krawler Flex installed along with 37" MTR's and 1.5 spidertrax spacers on the stock 17" wheels. I have bushwacker flats installed, as well. Rear pinch seam and rock rails have been trimmed.

So, there are two rubbing issues:

1. Full turn makes the tires rub, but I am not 100% sure what it's rubbing on... I can hear it and feel it.
2. If I go over a bump like a driveway entrance or something at more than 5-10 mph, I get a crunching sound on the driver side back tire area... I think it's the tire hitting the bushwacker flare where the flare is connected to the body (the wheel well behind the passenger door).

Any ideas on what I can do to fix these two issues?

Thanks!!!

J
Old 11-01-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Junkie

With the turning, you can park it, turn the wheel all the way to one side, hop out and look. Then do same with other side.

With rear, you might need more bumpstop.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, add about a 1/4" to the rear bumpstop with a spacer or something like that.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Freak

Are you running the stock bumpers? You might have some rubbing here. Make sure you take off the front air dam. Did you make any modifications for the exhaust crossover? A new front drive shaft will be needed at some point.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine rub on the frame rail in the front, and the noise in the back may be the inner fender liner getting caught - I had to trim mine a bit.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
Mine rub on the frame rail in the front, and the noise in the back may be the inner fender liner getting caught - I had to trim mine a bit.
Yeah, it looks like it's hitting the fender liner behind the passenger door. Any ideas how to get by that without trimming the liner? Would adding the spacers or more bumpstop fix that?
Old 11-10-2012, 04:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably not. As the axle moves down, it also arcs forward. More lift would make it worse. Only solution is to use aftermarket arms to reposition the axle, or trim them.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are running stock wheels with 1.5" spacers? So, if my memory serves me, stock wheels have BS of about 6.75" and the spacers of 1.5" give you total BS of 5.25". From my understanding, to avoid rub with your setup, you would need BS of 4.5". I knowplenty of guys running your setup with anywhere from 4.5" down to 3.6" of BS and have no issues. I'd try the 4.5" otherwise your tires will start sticking out quite a bit (the guy I know with 3.5" has like 2" of tire sticking out from the flare.

Just a thought. I just think you don't have enough BS on your setup now.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on how to fix this...