Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need some advice on highway driveability - Have RC 3.5" Series II, bilstein 5100

Old 10-11-2012, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a case of bad ball joints as well.. If you still have factory ball joints chances are they have gone out by now, that could also contribute to a bad ride...
Old 10-11-2012, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

I notice the flightyness all of the time, but particularly when I hit a bump. As I mentioned, I'm running the aftermarket LCAs but they are non-adjustable. Hopefully I'll get them on this weekend and report back. I've only got 16k miles on it, so I doubt anything has worn out yet. I also haven't done much heavy wheeling.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dozer2012
Thanks for the input. I ended up breaking down and ordering the RK FLCA's. I may end up upping my rig to 37's and possibly coilovers so I wanted to make sure whatever I get will last the long haul. So my suspension setup will be as follows (hopefully after this weekend):

3.5" RC Series II Kit (installed)
Billstein 5100s all around
RK Front LCAs
Fox Steering Stabilizer

I'm still noticing some interesting issues with steering though. I've centered my steering wheel and it's great most of the time, but it seems to wander to the right for a bit, particularly after a lot of high speed highway flex. It seems to go back on it's own, though.

Any thoughts on this? The RC kit came with a dropped pitman arm, which is installed correctly. Should I get a high steer kit or something like that?

Thanks
Your drag link and track bar need to be near parallel to each other, otherwise their arcs are different and bump steer occurs which sounds like what some of you are describing. If they aren't parallel in your case with a dropped pitman arm, then you will need to either get a frame side dropped track bar bracket or better yet a stronger waxle side high steer track bar brackets.
Also drag flips are stronger than dropped pitman a but if you decide to upgrade to a drag flip it must be used with a standard pitman arm.

Hope this helps. I use a drag flip with high steer and it works great with my rig which is currently adjusted to 6" lift on my coil overs.

Gary T
Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dozer2012
I notice the flightyness all of the time, but particularly when I hit a bump. As I mentioned, I'm running the aftermarket LCAs but they are non-adjustable. Hopefully I'll get them on this weekend and report back. I've only got 16k miles on it, so I doubt anything has worn out yet. I also haven't done much heavy wheeling.
Unfortunately. Jeep screwed the pooch with the ball joints, it seriously could be because these failed I had to replace mine at 10k miles. Check to see if they're within spec and, have no play. I had trouble figuring out why my jeep was acting up like yours. tire pressure, fca lca, trackbars, almost everything.. then got some great aftermarket ball joints and it turns out this was my problem.. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Dawdge; 10-11-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dawdge
Unfortunately. Jeep screwed the pooch with the ball joints, it seriously could be because these failed I had to replace mine at 10k miles. Check to see if they're within spec and, have no play. I had trouble figuring out why my jeep was acting up like yours. tire pressure, fca lca, trackbars, almost everything.. then got some great aftermarket ball joints and it turns out this was my problem.. I hope this helps.
Awesome info. When I lift it up this weekend I'll be sure to double check the ball joints. I can't wait to get the LCA's, Bilsteins and JKS Discos on. It's going to be a great weekend!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dawdge
X2 on the balljoints. They are crap!! I replaced mine at 20K and they had play in them. I went with a set form Poly Performance and so far they are still soild after 40K miles and 37s. They cost about $250 for all 4.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a rk 2.5 max and love it with my jks dicsos, but at 20000 miles my ball joints are getting pretty loose, about time to upgrade!

Quick Reply: Need some advice on highway driveability - Have RC 3.5" Series II, bilstein 5100