Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need some advice on highway driveability - Have RC 3.5" Series II, bilstein 5100

Old 10-08-2012, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on highway driveability - Have RC 3.5" Series II, bilstein 5100

Hey guys,

I've had my RC 3.5" Series II kit for about 6 months on my 2012 2 Door. I have 35" duratracs too. It's been a great kit, but the highway manners have been horrible. It drives like it's on skis and bounces all over the place. I JUST ordered a fox steering damper and bilstein 5100's, but have yet to put them on. I know it will make a huge difference in terms of sway and bounce, but I'm looking on making it better. I plan on having this jeep 5+ years and do a lot of highway driving.

My question to you guys. Where am I going to get my most bang for my buck with my next suspension upgrade? Should I get a high steer kit? I'm all ears, and would like to hear some different opinions.

Thanks for all of your help. This forum has been invaluable.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would look into adjustable lower control arms up front. Will let you dial in the front axle and should get rid of the riding on skis feeling.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 AM
JK Super Freak

x2 on the adjustable control arms and if you already have them look into your caster angle. It may be off and giving you alot of flightyness. I wouldn't put your new steering stabilizer on till you figure it out. That will only mask, if it does anything, a worse problem. A JK shouldn't even need a stabilizer if it is dialed in correctly. I would imagine that your caster angle is the culprit here.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by afpilot82
I would look into adjustable lower control arms up front. Will let you dial in the front axle and should get rid of the riding on skis feeling.
Thanks guys. So lower control arms it is. I'm thinking either Rock Krawler or JKS. Any experience with either? or is it going to make a huge difference? A buddy of mine is sold on the Rock Krawlers because they're bent and tuck up towards the frame, giving you extra clearance and keeping them out of the way.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

A cheaper and just as effective route would be to go with lower control arm drop brackets by AEV or Rancho. These brackets are under a $100 and will greatly improve your on-road driving experience.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used the drop brackets with major improvement on my RC 3.5" lift.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input. I ended up breaking down and ordering the RK FLCA's. I may end up upping my rig to 37's and possibly coilovers so I wanted to make sure whatever I get will last the long haul. So my suspension setup will be as follows (hopefully after this weekend):

3.5" RC Series II Kit (installed)
Billstein 5100s all around
RK Front LCAs
Fox Steering Stabilizer

I'm still noticing some interesting issues with steering though. I've centered my steering wheel and it's great most of the time, but it seems to wander to the right for a bit, particularly after a lot of high speed highway flex. It seems to go back on it's own, though.

Any thoughts on this? The RC kit came with a dropped pitman arm, which is installed correctly. Should I get a high steer kit or something like that?

Thanks
Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the RC 3.5 and added the adjustables to the flightyness went away. I also added dual steering stabs. All RC. Mine is a JKU and seems to be driving great now. Maybe a good stabilizer would help you out. I'm also using the drop pitman arm
Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

I'm also running the RC 3.5 series II and their dual stabilizer. There's only a slight flighty feeling when I hit a BIG bump/pothole at highway speeds but its nothing that you wouldn't expect out of a lifted rig. Is the flighty feeling you experience all the time or just when you hit a bump?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same 3.5 and I only experienced the flighty steering the first 100miles or so but after everything settled it went away. Oh and I'm running the stock stabilizer and 37 trail grapplers

Quick Reply: Need some advice on highway driveability - Have RC 3.5" Series II, bilstein 5100