Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need shock help - is this possible?

Old 12-07-2012, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need shock help - is this possible?

Is it possible to have a shock that will smooth out speed bumps, ride well and behave good off road? I have about 3.5 inches of lift with RC 2.0 shocks. I know, you guys always have something to say about RC but that's what I have, no choice right now but to maybe switch shocks.

When I was trail riding in Colorado last summer a lot of trails/fire roads are very rocky and it was a jarring experience to say the least. I would be more than willing to switch shocks but I don't know where to start. Is it just part of the deal with heavey 35 inch tires or can it be smoothed out? I don't think the shocks move at all on small bumps. It rides like a skate board!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:55 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by Dlampe
Is it possible to have a shock that will smooth out speed bumps, ride well and behave good off road? I have about 3.5 inches of lift with RC 2.0 shocks. I know, you guys always have something to say about RC but that's what I have, no choice right now but to maybe switch shocks.

When I was trail riding in Colorado last summer a lot of trails/fire roads are very rocky and it was a jarring experience to say the least. I would be more than willing to switch shocks but I don't know where to start. Is it just part of the deal with heavey 35 inch tires or can it be smoothed out? I don't think the shocks move at all on small bumps. It rides like a skate board!
Coil-overs
Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't beat coil overs. Top shelf. I started out with RC 2.2's, rough ride so Bilstein 5100's made a huge improvement. I recently changed those out for Fox 2.0 remote res shocks for longer travel and much smoother dampening. Also ditched the RC springs for EVO plush coils. Whole new ball game now. Fox remote res are awesome!
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010863.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	396159Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010782.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	396160
Old 12-08-2012, 06:12 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What do you want to spend per corner? That is a good starting point.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't mention so I wonder, did you air down?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did air down. Thats a good question. I have tried to not air down on some of the easy stuff but, man, that is a killer. I just don't think it has to be that way.

Rancho,

I want to spend as little as I can to solve the problem but as much as I need to just do it once and be happy. I don't do that much off road and when I do it is more of an overland style. I guess I would like a passenger car ride and I don't really know why I would need a stiff suspension. I am really out of my element when it comes to shocks. I'm glad you saw the thread. I am anxious to hear your reply.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it IS possible to have a shock that will smooth out speed bumps, ride well and behave good off road.
"Smooth" is relative, though. It can be much better than what you describe, but in order not to hit the bump stops, it can't be Cadillac-soft.

First, make sure that every component is tightened to the correct torque.
Then, you can install re-valveable shocks, and have them tweaked to suit your wish.
I preferred Fox, but any re-valveable shock would do.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:20 AM
JK Jedi Master

You might consider Blistein 5100 shocks. Everyone seems to be pretty happy with them and for the price can't really be beat. Other that that I would consider some King shocks, but the budget just tripled.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
You might consider Blistein 5100 shocks. Everyone seems to be pretty happy with them and for the price can't really be beat. Other that that I would consider some King shocks, but the budget just tripled.
I have the RC 4" X-Series and swapped out for the 5100's. it makes a huge difference in the ride quality.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did air down. Thats a good question. I have tried to not air down on some of the easy stuff but, man, that is a killer. I just don't think it has to be that way.

Rancho,

I want to spend as little as I can to solve the problem but as much as I need to just do it once and be happy. I don't do that much off road and when I do it is more of an overland style. I guess I would like a passenger car ride and I don't really know why I would need a stiff suspension. I am really out of my element when it comes to shocks. I'm glad you saw the thread. I am anxious to hear your reply.
So a monotube shock gives a firm, responsive ride that does really well on fire roads at a higher speed. But find the ride to be too firm on the road. Examples of a montube is the RS7000 MT or the Bilstein 5100's.

A shock like our RS9000XL is an adjustable shock that allows you to set your ride with the turn of a knob. 1-3 is super soft (like Caddy ride) 4-6 close but a bit firmer than OE, 7-9 firm.
For a JK that sees more time on road this is a great fit.

Also look to a reservoir style shock but these start to get $$$$.

Quick Reply: Need shock help - is this possible?