Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need to reprogram true tire diameter 37" mtr k's

Old 01-08-2016, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jedg
Hrm... sounds like a science project. I might just do this on Saturday if I find time. Measurement 1 (jtphoto JK) - Measure ground to center hub and double Measurement 2 (SoK66) - straight edge across the top of the tire and measure to the ground Measurement 3 (Wrangler X) - Mark center of contact patch on tire and ground. Roll forward until the mark on the tire is centered on the ground again. Measure that distance (gives circumference and calculate diameter). I'll post the results for my BFG KM2s that are 35s on 17in rims.
This would be awesome!!!

My guess is 1 & 3 should be pretty much the same and #2 will be a hair taller

Pi= 3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209 74944 59230 78164 06286 20899 ...
Old 01-08-2016, 11:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

When I bought my ProCal, I couldn't wait to get home and measure. I was running 35's, so plugged in 35". Got up to highway speed, compared to gps, pulled over, dropped the height. Compared, pulled over, dropped height. etc. Turns out my 35's were 33.5" tall. Which matched up to the method aev suggests - a straightedge (2x4 in my case) laid across the top of the tire.

I don't think it matters a bit what method you use. It's a starting point. If the speedo is off, just tweak the height until it is correct. That's one of the reasons you bought a programmer/tuner, so 'you' can adjust it whenever you want...
Old 01-08-2016, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
When I bought my ProCal, I couldn't wait to get home and measure. I was running 35's, so plugged in 35". Got up to highway speed, compared to gps, pulled over, dropped the height. Compared, pulled over, dropped height. etc. Turns out my 35's were 33.5" tall. Which matched up to the method aev suggests - a straightedge (2x4 in my case) laid across the top of the tire.

I don't think it matters a bit what method you use. It's a starting point. If the speedo is off, just tweak the height until it is correct. That's one of the reasons you bought a programmer/tuner, so 'you' can adjust it whenever you want...

Yup, this is what I expect.. that all three will produce measurements that are very close. I'm doing it mostly because I've seen so many folks insist that one method is better than another.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
I bet your speedo is off at higher speeds. Get up to 75 80mph and compare your speedo to a gps. Under 60 you proably wont notice but the faster you go the more its off. You may be off 1-3 mph. That measurment seems high I had those same tires and my speedo is dead on. I believe I have 35.25 entered in which is also working for my 37" trail grapplers
Nope, it's dead on per my onboard GPS.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just checking this thread again. Sorry, what I meant to say was similar to what jtphotoJK said. Measure from the ground to the center of the hub and double multiply by 2. This has worked for me several times also.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole idea is to know how far the tire will roll for each revolution, this with the output rotation speed and the gear ratio will tell you exactly how fast the vehicle moves at any RPM of the shaft. Works the same off of a wheel speed sensor to give you distance for measurable angular (rotational) velocity. Using the wheel height means the Pro-Cal (or what ever flash module used) converts circumference to diameter. The most accurate method would be to use the actual diameter to calculate height - then enter that calculated height into the flash module.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a difference in tire diameter between running at 60psi and 25psi. This needs to be taken into account if you want to get it right the first time. Theoretically it should be the same but it's not.
Realistically we are talking minor differences here. If you don't mind throwing a number in, checking it with GPS, then re-adjusting, and doing this a few times till you get it right, then do it the way you like.
I run my tires a bit soft 26-28psi so if I recalibrate at the exact diameter its always off by 2-3kph.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Tire diameter by 3 measurements

Okay, so here's my pseudo scientific findings...

Spoiler up front..... All three are so close to each other that it doesn't matter.
(EDIT - I took three measurements of each of the three methods then used the average to calculate the diameters)

Measurement 1 - Center to ground - diameter = 33 1/8

Measurement 2 - Total height using a straight edge = 33 1/4

Measurement 3 - Circumference and calculate diameter = 33.223 (so almost 33 1/4)

I used my jeep with 35 inch KM2s that are at 26psi.

Measurement 1 - Measure from center-cap to ground and double (so get radius and double for diameter). This is the second most difficult method I think. Getting the angle that you hold the measuring tape at makes a big difference on the measurement. Also ensuring you are using the center of the wheel. SO, my 33 1/8 is likely off because it's difficult to get an accurate measurment of the radius.

Measurement 2 - I used a level for the straight edge and ensured the bubble was level then measured. Very easy. I think this is the easiest method.

Measurement 3 - Second easiest but I think it's less accurate as you have to eyeball when the mark on the tire is exactly at the bottom. I think I got lucky that my measurement was 104 3/8 inches which worked to 33.223 inches diameter.

SO... there you have it... it's a wash. All three work. For me, I will use method 2 from now on as it's easiest for me.

Last edited by jedg; 01-09-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait a minute! You have one as the second easiest and one as the second hardest. With only three items - it's the same thing :-)

Just giving you a hard time. Thanks for putting the time in to this! Very interesting findings...
Old 01-09-2016, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So which measurement did you put in your programmer 33.125 or 33.25. I'll bet on 33.00 " being closer with the GPS.

Quick Reply: Need to reprogram true tire diameter 37" mtr k's