Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need to replace my drag link & stabilizer: any guidance?

Old 03-18-2014, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to replace my drag link & stabilizer: any guidance?

Haven't been very active due to other hobbies, but the JK needs a little help right now: I have some wicked DW I'm trying to remedy. I'm on a RK 2.5" MT lift, so my track bar is already replaced. The drag link ball joint on the knuckle is shot, and my SS is also leaked dry. I need something that'll handle 35-37" tires and give me some rock-solid steering (for once).

I have no idea the reason to flip the drag link, or the implications to other components (not being able to stuff the shock as much, sway bar interference, etc... I just haven't done the research). But if that is what's recommended, I'll look into it.

I've been looking at these replacements:

• Synergy high-steer (which apparently can be used in the normal location as well) - $200
• Rock Krawler (but you still have to by TREs) - $225 ... too rich for my blood
• Rubicon Express chromoly - $200

I also need an HD stabilizer. Blew the stock one pretty quick on a rock, rotated it above the tie rod wth a Superlift kit (got it off a friend for $20) and the DW blew that one, too. Now, I KNOW a true steering setup wouldn't even need a SS, but I'm ****ing tired of this to be honest, haha. I'm replacing that drag link, and throwing either a super HD stabilizer on there, or going with a double stabilizer. I don't care how it looks, I'll be fine in the rocks (don't you worry about lil ole me), and I just need a solid feeling vehicle again.

So whaddaya think?

Last edited by C2U5H; 03-18-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my bent tie rod with a synergy HD unit and fox ss. My bilstein 5100 ss was bent as well. Very nice parts! getting my synergy drag link put on this friday ( flipped ). Ive heard nothing but great things about synergy parts. Strong as hell too. Fox ss has a nice 5/8 shaft which will have a strength increase your looking for. Pricey unit but it improved the way my jeep feels on 37's.

Last edited by courtsm3; 03-18-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Drag links flips are for 3.5"+ lifts to reduce bump stop and axle shift for a better ride. At 2.5" of lift there is no reason for it. As for a steering stabilizer the factory one is more then enough and you might find a take off for free from someone that has "upgraded". Otherwise if you feel you do need to spend the money on an after market stabilizer pick your flavor.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Can't beat Synergy. Well built, easy to adjust, strong as hell. I beat the shit out of mine.

Honestly wouldn't blow too much money on the SS. Even flipped it's still gonna get bashed. I have a teraflex one on mine. Cheap to replace.

I also run the rock Krawler Track bar. I wouldn't rule it out as being good to go especially if you have had true Death Wobble. If you pull it and inspect the ends I'd be willing to bet you'll see where the threads have cut into the inside. I Replaced all the metric track bar hardware with grade 8 9/16 stuff.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Before buying new parts you should find out what is causing your wobble. If you do not identify and correct the root cause the new parts will also wear out. You mention that you replaced your track bar. Were the new track bar bolts properly torqued? Did you inspect the track bar bracket holes? Google "planman" death wobble videos for info on how to diagnose DW.

And like already said, unless you really like the look of the fancy SS a stock one will work just as well. Which ever SS you go with be sure relocate it above the TR if you wheel your Jeep.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running the rock crawler front track bar as well and just upgraded the 9/16 bolt and new Fox SS and my jeep feels much tighter. I also have a stock ss for sale if interested $25 shipped.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm 90% sure the knuckle side drag link ball joint is the cause. I've inspected the ends on the RK track bar and everything looks fine, no marring, deformation/deflection, or material transfer. Threads looks clean. I welded Grade 8 washers around the axle side track bar bracket mounting holes to strengthen them up from possible hole deformation due to undersized OEM hardware allowing movement.

I'll grab me a Craigslist SS then... if I solved it, it shouldn't matter, as you guys have confirmed.

I've seen planman's troubleshooting logic and have used it in the past: thank you!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why hit Craigslist? AlexjeepVb just offered you his...
Old 03-18-2014, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
Why hit Craigslist? AlexjeepVb just offered you his...
Am I obligated now? I appreciate the offer Alex (I actually missed it on the first read). I'll see what available locally and hit you up.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just to update:

I swapped out the busted stock drag link for the Synergy one—wow, what a difference. Solid steering once again! Mwahahaha! Still have the 'esploded' steering stabilizer, so I'll throw one on soon. Absolutely no wobble whatsoever as of right now.

Quick Reply: Need to replace my drag link & stabilizer: any guidance?