Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need to replace ebrake handle

Old 03-18-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to replace ebrake handle

Kind of an odd question but here it goes. My pup chewed my ebrake handle on the Rubi, the handle and the button a little bit. What are my options to replacing it? I figure why not go aftermarket and get a metal one to prevent future chews.

I don't want anything ricey, just maybe a simple brushed aluminum handle or something. Any suggestions?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

In light of no response to my thread, can anybody at least tell me how to remove the stock ebrake handle so I can test fit another one, even a stock one to replace it?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

First of all, I don't think they make aluminum pups. Second of all, I don't think I'd replace him just yet

You may consider just covering the handle yourself with some leather (Harley Davidson - style). It shouldn't be hard, or expensive to:
1. Slide a black foam bicycle handle grip for cushion
2. Cut the right size leather cover
3. Punch a series of holes along the edges that meet
4. Lace them together like the lacing on the steering wheel

Presto - classic, cheap, and replaceable cover.

Oh,
5. Get the pup a Nylabone and keep it in the Jeep. He'll like that better than the e-brake.

Last edited by mizedog; 03-21-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Aha some life in my thread. Honestly, it was a one time thing. I am just waiting to take the hard top off so I can get a crate in there where I'll be leaving him. But in the mean time, I have a half chewed up handle. I guess the leather idea is the only one, because it doesn't seem like the handle is removable.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you missing quite a bit of the handle, you could try using some sort of hardening putty, nice wood, or even fiberglas resin.

1. but the rest of the rubber off
2. wrap a big hunk of clay/soft putty around the metal handle
3. squeeze the clay until you've got a correctly sized handle custom shaped to your hand
4. slide the clay off (or cut it into halves to remove it)
for a resin handle:
a. put the clay in cup, pour rubber around it, let harden/cure
b. pull the whole thing out of the butter dish, peel/remove the rubber carefully from the clay
c. put the rubber back in the butter dish
d. pour resin in the new rubber mold, let harden
e. pull rubber off as in step 'b.'
f. drill a small hole in the side or bottom for a set screw sleeve
g. insert/press-fit set screw sleeve in (may have to use more resin)
h. paint as desired and install on metal e-brake

for a wood handle:
a. use the clay mold as a guide to hand carve a wood handle.
Suggestion - if you like knives, you could order a chunk of laminates resin wood. It's super hard and can be oil finished. Many in this forum seem to be concerned with having a 'bad boy' image with blackouts, skulls, tough guy stickers, etc. I don't have to prove anything there so I'd rather go for creativity. You could also just put a pistol handle on there too. Your choice.

I made a custom birdseye maple shift handle for my Trooper years ago and loved it! I was unique, carved to fit my hand (which is big), really caught light well in the grain. I got many compliments on it.

Quick Reply: Need to replace ebrake handle