Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Recommendations on Selecting a Locker

Old 11-02-2013, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Recommendations on Selecting a Locker

Hi Everyone,

I have a stock 2013 JKU Sport S and I'm creating a huge wishlist of everything I plan to do to it.

I've been searching the internet for lockers and have run across OX, ARB, Detroit Lockers, Aussie lockers, Air-actuated, electronic, limited slip, etc...

I'm not a fan of limited slip because i don't want to have to create excess wheelspin when crawling on rocks to transfer torque - i want more control. I'm not a fan of air-actuated because it seems like the air systems are overly complicated and expensive - and from what I know about air, prone to failure (but feel free to prove me wrong on that). I'm not a fan of aussie lockers because we get a ton of snow here in Maine and I want full control of when the diffs are open and locked..

So I think that leaves me with an electronically actuated locker. Thing is, I don't know what all of my options are. The rubicon's have e-lockers right? Does anyone have and recommendations?

And if there is a really good thread that covers all of this, please feel free to point me in that direction, but I couldn't find one.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Air - ARB, Yukon Zip, Ox

Electric - Eaton E-Locker, OX, (and the stock rubicon elocker - which you can't use unless you swap axle housings),

Cable - Ox (as you can see, Ox has a choice of actuation methods for their cable locker)

Hybrid selectable / limited slip - Auburn ECTED

And read through this one:
Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Dynatrac Presents - Lockers 101

There are a bunch of threads covering all of the options and why one or another may be better or worse, but they all say pretty much the same thing. Go ARB and don't look back...
Old 11-02-2013, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boon4376
Hi Everyone, I have a stock 2013 JKU Sport S and I'm creating a huge wishlist of everything I plan to do to it. I've been searching the internet for lockers and have run across OX, ARB, Detroit Lockers, Aussie lockers, Air-actuated, electronic, limited slip, etc... I'm not a fan of limited slip because i don't want to have to create excess wheelspin when crawling on rocks to transfer torque - i want more control. I'm not a fan of air-actuated because it seems like the air systems are overly complicated and expensive - and from what I know about air, prone to failure (but feel free to prove me wrong on that). I'm not a fan of aussie lockers because we get a ton of snow here in Maine and I want full control of when the diffs are open and locked.. So I think that leaves me with an electronically actuated locker. Thing is, I don't know what all of my options are. The rubicon's have e-lockers right? Does anyone have and recommendations? And if there is a really good thread that covers all of this, please feel free to point me in that direction, but I couldn't find one.
Everything I've read says the opposite. Go air for selectable. Or more specifically go ARB. And added bonus. You have built in air for the trail.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Thanks for the information, I just gave that a good read - however, it is three years old I wonder if any of it has changed in regard to which brands offer the best designs.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A couple warranties have been updated, but as far as I know there haven't been any design changes.

(Ox did release a version that will work in the rubicon housings, but it isn't a consideration for you.)

I guess one other note is that I don't recall seeing any feedback on the air or electric version of the OX, so no idea if those actuation methods are any better or worse than just the cable/handle.

And another - haven't seen anyone complaining about exploding a Zip locker, even though it is 2-pin vs the arbs 4-pin.

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-02-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Just watched this video and even though it may be biased because ARB made it - it still gives me a lot of confidence that they care about making sure their stuff isn't crap. Seems like it might be worth the extra $200 - $300 for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyzyAVPTM8c
Old 11-02-2013, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put an ARB in my rear diff on my Rubi after my electric locker took a dump. It works awesome.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Living in Maine and lots of snow I would consider Detroit TruTrac. With a locker on both rocks and snow, is that if one rear wheel beaks loose, both do. this means the rears breaks loose and is sliding around or you lose your front which is even worse!.. No air lines, electrical wires, etc. working 24/7. I would take a air/electric locker if playing on rocks more than on road. this is just from my limited .02.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GunDude
Living in Maine and lots of snow I would consider Detroit TruTrac. With a locker on both rocks and snow, is that if one rear wheel beaks loose, both do. this means the rears breaks loose and is sliding around or you lose your front which is even worse!.. No air lines, electrical wires, etc. working 24/7. I would take a air/electric locker if playing on rocks more than on road. this is just from my limited .02.
I think I'd prefer open diffs and just let the traction control and stability control do it's job on snow on roads. I wouldn't want to be locked up at all.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a OX in place of the factory locker. I have a 3 foot cable with the electric actuator. Worked out great for me. Located the actuator in the rear storage area behind the seat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Need Recommendations on Selecting a Locker