Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need recommendations for poor handling

Old 05-03-2019, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Those Synergy BJs will take a little time to break in. I suspect your steering is just a bit tight. Give it 500-1000 miles and it should feel better. Very common with those BJs. I'm on the other side of the metroplex, out in the Aledo area, if you ever need some semi-local help. Welcome to the forum

btw, what shop did you go to?

Ok, I went to four wheel parts.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by dubs 2013 wrangler
The Jeep now is almost scary to drive very darty in between the lines when you try and keep it straight. Any ideas what they could have done?
It might not be a bad idea to fill in any additional information you can think of. Like whether you are lifted? And if so, which other components are installed? Did the shop do an alignment? If so, post the specs.

What I was thinking is that, if it turns out to not be a break-in issue with the new balljoints, could the shop have changed the Caster or Toe...
Old 05-03-2019, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

It’s a 2013 rubicon with a 4in rubicon express lift. With 37x13.5 Toyo mt set at 34psi with terriflex front track bar. Bought over a yr ago put 25k miles on since then. Drove straight as an arrow the whole time. Shop said they did a reallgnment.

new parts added were
fusion 4x4 tie rod drag link
synergy balljoints
bushings on terrflex trackbar

measured toe In was 80 3/16 front and 80 7/16 rear
Old 05-03-2019, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
It might not be a bad idea to fill in any additional information you can think of. Like whether you are lifted? And if so, which other components are installed? Did the shop do an alignment? If so, post the specs.

What I was thinking is that, if it turns out to not be a break-in issue with the new balljoints, could the shop have changed the Caster or Toe...
sorry I forgot to hit reply on your quote but answered it below. I know they did alignment but how would I check caster?
Old 05-03-2019, 07:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by dubs 2013 wrangler
I know they did alignment but how would I check caster?
If you have an angle finder (even a phone app will work), you can get a ballpark from the C's, Pinion flange, or the flat spot on housing. Opinions vary on which spot is better to use. But any way you look at it, an alignment machine will be more accurate. So, IF 4wp actually performed one, their printout will be good to have.

One thing you will find is that many shops that charge for an alignment for a JK don't actually do anything. From the factory, the Caster and Camber are not adjustable, so unless aftermarket parts are installed, the only things a shop can do is recenter the steering wheel and adjust the Toe. (Toe generally does not change due to the lift, unlike Caster which changes quite a bit)

This is the first video that came up when I googled 'jeep jk how to check caster'

There are several different types of components that can correct the caster. Do you happen to know what is installed? If not, you can just snap a few pictures and post them. (the front control arms, and the brackets at both axle and frame end of the arms)

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-03-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Put on a set of geometry correction brackets, and drop your air pressure to around 28.
You'll think you have a new Jeep

Quick Reply: Need recommendations for poor handling