Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need recommendation on minor lift.....

Old 09-19-2012, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need recommendation on minor lift.....

I have an 09 JK 2 door with 17" wheels. My tires are almost due for a change, so I have been toying with the idea of some minor mods. The JK is my daily drive and as much as like the idea of running 33's or 35's, it's just not practical for me. I do want to give my Jeep a slightly more aggressive look (I know, I'm a poser!). I've seen a lot of Rubicon wheel/rim takeoffs on Craigslist. Assuming I go that way, any suggestions for getting a slight lift to improve the look and ride? Should I pickup a set of JKU Rubi springs and shocks? Or, do you recommend a particular suspension lift that will look good with the Rubi wheel/tire combo? Thanks!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a 2.5" lift is a good lift you can do some minor wheeling if wanted to and you can fit a 35 in that no problem. I did this combo and mine is a daily driver. Take a look at Teraflex and Rock krawler lifts they have nice 2.5" lifts also check out the fierce attitudes (they are on my jeep) good price and slightly more aggressive tire
Attachment 367387

Last edited by holmes4x4; 09-19-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:13 AM
JK Super Freak

I'd add the Teraflex Leveling Kit. It'll give you an inch or so lift. Add some wheel spacers to push your tires out and you'll like the look. probably cost you $200 for the lift, $200 for the spacers.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default TF leveling kit

Is the TF leveling kit basically a body lift that will give me an inch or so of lift? Will it void the warranty? How does the kit effect the ride? Any need to upgrade springs or shocks? I understand in PA that wheel spacers won't pass inspection. Any similar issue with leveling kits? Thanks man.

Originally Posted by holmes4x4
I think a 2.5" lift is a good lift you can do some minor wheeling if wanted to and you can fit a 35 in that no problem. I did this combo and mine is a daily driver. Take a look at Teraflex and Rock krawler lifts they have nice 2.5" lifts also check out the fierce attitudes (they are on my jeep) good price and slightly more aggressive tire
Attachment 367387
Old 09-19-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sdberman
Is the TF leveling kit basically a body lift that will give me an inch or so of lift? Will it void the warranty? How does the kit effect the ride? Any need to upgrade springs or shocks? I understand in PA that wheel spacers won't pass inspection. Any similar issue with leveling kits? Thanks man.
Its my understanding TF now has a spacer or spring leveling kit. This allows you both options. it comes with extended sway bar links which you'll need when you add the added space up front. it basically adds 2" in front 1" in the rear for a 1.5" lift, plus it removes the front rake. There is a very lengthy thread about voiding warranties and honestly its up to each dealership. You'd have to read the whole thread to get an idea of how they react to lifts. Some dealerships are lift friendly and only void the components that are affected, others the whole thing, others don't void any. Its really a coin toss. it should affect your ride much at all by adding just spacers. maybe a touch of flightiness, but when I had 2.5"/35s I didn't notice it much. Ride quality should be equal as you're keeping all factory springs/shocks. you can search the TF Leveling Kit and find a lot of good info. I am running their 2.5" kit and other than some initial issues (all resolved by TF customer service free of charge) its been awesome since.

Not sure about local laws in regards to spacers, kits, etc. I know in Colorado 35 inch tires aren't allowed for emission test, Cali requires mudflaps. so its different everywhere. There is a website (do a search as I can't remember it) that will list all laws related to off-road vehicles. I think it may be liftlaws. com or something...don't hold me to that though.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your thoughts of finding new take offs is a great economical idea. If you can get some Rubi take off rims and tires or just the tires (they will fit your rims) They do have the more aggressive look you are going for.
As far as the suspension goes, factory springs, whether Rubi or not, are numbered and you can check your spring numbers and get a set of used/take off springs with higher numbers (they are for sale on this forum everyday) and get a little cheap lift (2” +/-) that way. Rubi shocks are definitely going to improve the ride but are not necessary.

There s a great thread discussing the factory coil spring numbers. LINK

Quick Reply: Need recommendation on minor lift.....