Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need opinions on rear bumper and tire carrier

Old 07-03-2011, 04:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
OrFab makes a killer setup that is heavy duty. There prices are fair also.
x2....ORFAB rocks.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

I just installed the Body Armor I got on sale yesterday. Great price and great build. I do agree the instruction could be better, but nothing stopped me from completing in 3 hours (with the help of 6 y/o son).

I did notice some droop with the spare tire, but that was eliminated by torquing the castle nut correctly. I was always taught to torque under load. Not sure if that is correct, but I do not have droop (yet). I will be adding fuel tanks to it in the future. Time will tell.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MrBig
I just installed the Body Armor I got on sale yesterday. Great price and great build. I do agree the instruction could be better, but nothing stopped me from completing in 3 hours (with the help of 6 y/o son).

I did notice some droop with the spare tire, but that was eliminated by torquing the castle nut correctly. I was always taught to torque under load. Not sure if that is correct, but I do not have droop (yet). I will be adding fuel tanks to it in the future. Time will tell.
What do you use to torque your castle nut? Can you post pictures of the tool? That's been my problem - I use a makeshift castle nut wrench: a crowbar and a crescent wrench LOL
Old 07-03-2011, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed the AEV tire carrier with my stock bumper. Very solid and no rattles whatsoever. The fact that it works with the stock bumper and swings with the tailgate was the biggest draw for me.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MOKOS
rancho makes one for $300. not much "bumper" to it. it's barebones- a tire carrier mounted between the rear frame rails. I kinda like it.
Here's my Rancho. No rattles. A little inconvenient to open since it's a simple hitch pin, but that's not a big deal for me. I'm not back there much since my dog died.

I still need to fab up some corner protection.

It's designed for a built-in Hi-Lift mount inboard. I keep my Hi-Lift inside, out of the weather, but I'll be installing Rotopax cans in this void.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by e-jeep
Hey JeepnDad!!! Finishline West ...70(ish) lbs under $900. No rattles, very simple.

Is the Rachet strap whats holding it in there?
Old 07-04-2011, 07:14 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by e-jeep
Hey JeepnDad!!! Finishline West ...70(ish) lbs under $900. No rattles, very simple.

seriously, this bumper is designed terribly and is flat out DANGEROUS. a good friend of mine is on his second one now and even after the so called improvements made to it, it's still jiggles all over the place and is breaking AGAIN!! i should note that the first one broke right at the hinge while driving on the road. when it broke, he didn't even know it had happend until another car starting honking at him to pull over. had this tire carrier hit the car, someone could have gotten really hurt or killed.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Think I am down to the Body Armor or the Smittybilt??????
Old 07-04-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Garvin G2 and could not be happier with it.

Has available Axe, full-size shovel, Hi-lift, and Gerry can mounts and works with the OEM towing equipment. No rattles, first-rate materials, and the welds are beautiful.

My only complaint is the high price, but at least you're getting what you pay for...
Old 07-04-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I am down to the Body Armor and the Smittybilt. Hopefully one of the vendors on here will give me a killer deal. I have already PM'd a couple of them. Thanks

Quick Reply: Need opinions on rear bumper and tire carrier