Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need opinions on rear bumper and tire carrier

Old 07-01-2011, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Smittybilt XRC and have been happy with it. Doesn't rattle and was an easy install
Old 07-01-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Freak

rancho makes one for $300. not much "bumper" to it. it's barebones- a tire carrier mounted between the rear frame rails. I kinda like it.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on Body Armor. The quality is good, the instructions suck (but if I could figure it out anyone can), and the price is right.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered the body armor that was pictured earlier in this thread. Hope I like it. The newest version comes with high lift mount and jerry can holders which I am going to try to mount ammo cans for recovery gear. 4wd is having a sale on them this weekend. Got bumper and carrier for 715 including shipping. I will post pics and review once it comes in and I get installed
Old 07-01-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SumoSizeit
What is the budget specifically? I'm having some trouble tracking down prices for the brands you linked. Personally I have my eye on the LOD stubby rear bumper, which I think you can see on a few of the jeeps in WOL's videos (including his own). These might be too heavy-duty a bumper you're looking for. $650 too much?
650 is bumper only, $1095 for bumper and tire carrier
Old 07-02-2011, 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Helpful thread - seems a quiet tire carrier is one of the harder things to get right. I'll be upgrading to 37s soon and am thinking of going with the AEV tire carrier because I like the idea of what they describe as "Tailgate-synchronized swing-out tire carrier." I'd like to do the bumper and carrier but am going to be stretched thin due to the suspension build out.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
OrFab makes a killer setup that is heavy duty. There prices are fair also.
I like it; this is what I've ordered!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:50 AM
JK Freak

Very useful thread!
Old 07-03-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Super Freak

I run a Body Armor outfit. The price is definitely right (I'm on a tight budget too) and it's fairly easy to put together. But the instructions suck and the tire carrier droops slightly after your spare goes on. You have to lift it with some strength to get it up onto the bumper before securing it. Overall, I like it. But I might upgrade to a more expensive set later. Good luck with your search and post pics!
Old 07-03-2011, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by shotwell
Love my body armour
Do you have a drooping carrier when your spare is on? Mine's about 1/2 inch lower than the bumper lip. I have to heave it up that little bit before I can shut the latch.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on rear bumper and tire carrier