Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need new diff cover, will it rub?

Old 10-30-2014, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new diff cover, will it rub?

So I have a stock JKUR and during some off roading I managed to peel back the rear diff cover and dumped some diff fluid. I used a BFH to smack it back in and torqued the bottom bolts down to take the leak down to about a drip per hour or two, and I ordered a new diff cover.

The diff cover I ordered is the Poison Spyder Bombshell for a D44. However, I did some reading and realized that this will rub the track bar, both front and rear, on a stock. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to fix this? New track bars, relocation mounts, what size lift would I need to make it a nonissue, etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2014, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't believe a lift will help at all. I'm pretty sure your only option is adjustable track bars. I have that same diff cover on the back of my JKU (I have the front, too, but since it's a D30 it doesn't really apply) and I haven't rubbed it yet, but I also haven't done anything off road since I put it on. If you just keep it on the street until you get adjustable track bars you'll be fine. That'll stop the leaking at least. And you'll need to paint those covers since they're bare steel.

Last edited by Grant09; 10-30-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not rub my rear bombshell cover with stock suspension only the front one. I never tried to fix it. Lifted it does not rub.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same differential covers on my Sahara with a 2.5" AEV lift. Back doesn't rub; I had a Synergy front track bar installed to avoid the front rub.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Interesting, when I called Poison Spyder they indicated they would both rub stock, front and back, but maybe they only meant full articulation. If all I need is an adj. track bar then great, I'll get one for front and rear and problem solved. Thanks for the replies!

Quick Reply: Need new diff cover, will it rub?