Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need motor issue help

Old 07-09-2020, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need motor issue help

I have a 2016 JK and I have a bunch of issues. I have a supercharged jeep with 43k miles. I started getting issues around 30K but never really found the issue and few mechanics couldnt find issue either. The supercharer company sucks ass and refuses to help mean while they ar eonly like 4 miles from my house and we are practically neighbors. never buy Ripp they have the worst customer service.

issue 1 I was burning oil and I was getting P0016P0017 codes for camshaft sensor and also a crankshaft sensor code. My oil dipstick also has a gas smell to it meaning gas is mixing with oil. also have a ticking that sounds like from the passenger side of motoe
issue 2 I just had long arm kit installed and they deleted the look on the exhaust. after i got the jeep back it started running like complete shit. if i get on the gas and try to floor it it bogs out or revs and gets no power, also if im on highway sometimes i am going 45 mph with the pedal all day down to the floor. no power at all anymore

I really have no idea what to do, i did compression tests. and I did head gasket seal test and the mechanic said its good.

anyone here familiar with these motors?
Old 07-17-2020, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

How many miles on the supercharger installation total? My first thought is rings going/gone but you say the compression was checked as ok. What was ok cyl pressures at cranking? Fuel in oil usually means overfuelling. Injectors ok and were they changed at blower install? Oil level rising on dipstick? Sure its not water?
For issue 2 - did the suspension company disconnect and remove the exhaust? If so were the O2 sensors installed or plugged back in the correct plugs? Not good to have a downstream sensor plugged in to upstream input. They are not the same sensor.. Ticking sound could be lifter or cam lobe starting to fail. Hard to diagnose when there are non-factory power adders on there.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know much about superchargers but I also have that ticking sound on the passenger side. I did some research on it in the past and the 3.6L V6 Pentastar engines are notorious for it, especially the 2012-2013 models. If you google "3.6 pentastar ticking sound" you'll get a bunch of info on it, but the gist of it is the needle bearings in the rocker arms are failing prematurely. It's usually accompanied by a check engine light, which might explain your camshaft code. It also leads to excessive wear of the camshaft and misfiring. Chrysler extended their warranty for this so you you could take it in and if it is this issue it should be covered.

That being said, the “Pentastar tick” described above should not be confused for the subtle, rapid-paced, ticking associated with the valve-train. The Pentastar features overhead cams, and some noise is normal and to be expected, especially during a cold start.

Quick Reply: Need motor issue help