Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

NEED MORE PROTECTION! Any suggestions?

Old 03-08-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED MORE PROTECTION! Any suggestions?

I have done some searches but does anybody know what the latest and greatest tube fenders are for the JK's. Or are there even any out yet.

I need more protection. Or just drive better.

I live in Kentucky and most of all our trails are in acres of wooded areas. So if it is alittle slick or muddy it is easy to slide into trees. And some of the trails are tight. Hills with off cambers at the very top with a sharp turn to the right or left. I have been out this year about 6 times and have already got two decent dents in my jeep. I think when it dries up and i get more traction it won't be that big of a deal. And i can take off my doors and top will help also.

Once i was trying to go up a hill and it was real muddy and i slide over into a tree. Right at by right side mirror and pushed it in and put a dent by my antenna and to dimples in the window frame area of my door. And then today i was out trail riding and went up a steep hill with a quick downhill on the other side which you couldn't really see the other side until you committed and it kicked me to the right and i slide into another tree. It hit right at my rear door handle and pushed it in and broke something inside of it. It doesn't work now. And then it slide down the jeep the rest of the way putting a dent above my rear fender and ripping my fender completely off. It didn't really hurt the fender. It is trimmed and i have more plastic rivits to put it back on.

So my two biggest plans are to get some good steel tube fenders and i want to extend my rock rails out more to help protect the side of my jeep more. My rails are stock rubicon rails and a buddy of mine welded a tube down the side for more protection. But i think it needs to extend out more and maybe even angle up some. I just need more protection on the sides to rub up against trees and not worry about tearing the crap out of the body panels.

ANY SUGGESTIONS!!

I'll post some pics of the damage but here are some current pics of the jeep and rock rails.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

I just started a thread like this a couple days ago. It should be on page 2 or 3 or 4 tops of the Modified JK threads.

I'll come back with the link.....

P.S. Get ready. I wanted tube fenders until I saw the more damage that they can cause.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Here you go. Read through this thread. It will tell you what brands make tube fenders (River Raider, Warrior Products, M.O.R.E.). This thread will also show you the more damage they can cause to your vehicle.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/river-raider-flares-vs-warrior-products-75931/

PG. 4 was the link. The topic is called River Raider vs. Warrior Products
Old 03-08-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for that link. That is exactly what i was looking for. Because of the title i guess that is why i couldn't find it in any searches.

Well the tube fenders is definitely out. And i of course am not doing any type of exo cage but i still need something. I think the biggest thing i need to do is extend out my rock sliders some. Even 2" or 3" will help. As stated in that thread, i haven't had any body damage from my plastic fenders. But when you slide into a tree climbing a hill or on an off camber and it hits in between the front and rear fenders there is not much you can do about that. And depending on the angle even the rock sliders i don't believe will catch the tree from hitting the jeep. I guess i just truely need to work on my driving skills and take it slow and easy. But the trails we ride in are nothing but trees.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:51 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

driving skill and slowing it down will help a lot but increasing the amount of flex your jeep has will help out a lot too. the more flex you have, the longer you can keep all four on the floor and the greater balance and traction you will have.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:57 PM
JK Super Freak

WayofLife - If there's one thing I'm learning on this site, along with my own experiences with modifications, is that everything has it's pros and cons, and really only the owner knows what he/she wants.

Xtreme RC - Do whatever you want. Me personally, after reviewing everyone's comments on my one thread, I don't want tube fenders. But no doubt, they do look incredibly sick!
Old 03-08-2009, 11:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just use two rubbers.

Quick Reply: NEED MORE PROTECTION! Any suggestions?