Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need to lower 4" lift

Old 06-04-2015, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need to lower 4" lift

Hey guys!
I'm about to purchase a 2012 JK with a 4" Pro Comp Stage 1 lift. The only hangup is the wife thinks it's too tall. I could lower it an inch or so to make her happy. I feel that all I need to do is replace the coil springs with 2.5" springs to accomplish my goal. Am I correct?
One more thing. This Jeep will be used on mild trails through the woods. No rock crawling...well, no extreme rock crawling.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leave it alone and get some good steps/rails.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4" is a lot of lift for what you plan on doing with it. the stage 1 lift in it now might now be the best, most complete lift you can get so lowering your overall height will probably make the Jeep drive better. Unless the prior owner installed drop brackets, adjustbale arms or cam bolts, your caster is probably too low which can cause flighty steering. If nothing was done to adjust caster, then lowering it will give you more positive caster and improve driveability.

Depending on what is in there for bumstops, links and shocks, you may need to swap one or all of those out. You will probably be OK but keep that in mind as I have no idea what the travel lenghts are on the Procomp shocks and what the smallest length you can adjust the links.

If I was redoing my Jeep today, I'd go for a low COG setup even though I do mostly rock type stuff.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubi-josh
Leave it alone and get some good steps/rails.
If it was 100% my decision that's exactly what I'd do. But to get this rig in my garage I need to let the wife know that lowering it an inch is an option. I can give up an inch and still have plenty of room for the 35's that are on it. It seems I can get a set of coils for around $200.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
4" is a lot of lift for what you plan on doing with it. the stage 1 lift in it now might now be the best, most complete lift you can get so lowering your overall height will probably make the Jeep drive better. Unless the prior owner installed drop brackets, adjustbale arms or cam bolts, your caster is probably too low which can cause flighty steering. If nothing was done to adjust caster, then lowering it will give you more positive caster and improve driveability.

Depending on what is in there for bumstops, links and shocks, you may need to swap one or all of those out. You will probably be OK but keep that in mind as I have no idea what the travel lenghts are on the Procomp shocks and what the smallest length you can adjust the links.

If I was redoing my Jeep today, I'd go for a low COG setup even though I do mostly rock type stuff.

Thanks for the good info! I've been torn between low COG and the looks of a taller lift. If I give up an inch (making it a 3" lift) do you think that will make much of a difference for shocks, swaybar links, and bump stops? With extreme off-road I bet it would, but for my purpose on trails? Idk.

edit: The previous owner did the stage one lift and that's it. No other mods. So if it wasn't included in the kit, then it wasn't done.

Last edited by Flexy; 06-04-2015 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 06-04-2015, 08:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Flexy
Thanks for the good info! I've been torn between low COG and the looks of a taller lift. If I give up an inch (making it a 3" lift) do you think that will make much of a difference for shocks, swaybar links, and bump stops? With extreme off-road I bet it would, but for my purpose on trails? Idk.

edit: The previous owner did the stage one lift and that's it. No other mods. So if it wasn't included in the kit, then it wasn't done.
You will be fine with 3" coils. And some 2.5" coils depending on brand as some run very tall. If you go with a company like synergy, they tend to run more true to stated size (if you are running heavy bumpers and stuff). Teraflex run tall, Rock Krawler run tall but not as much as TF. Synergy 3" coils might be a good option.

Even at the lower height though, you still have some geometry issues to deal with. But since you didn't drive it stock, maybe you won't notice the steering issues. Maybe....
Old 06-04-2015, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

One last thing....if you like the "Tall" look that comes with big lifts, you can always getthe same look with a smaller lift and flat flares. either trim your stock ones or buy aftermarket. 2.5" lift with 35's and flats looks like a 3.5" lift and 35's with regular flares in my opinion.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

If it was 100% my decision that's exactly what I'd do. But to get this rig in my garage I need to let the wife know that lowering it an inch is an option. I can give up an inch and still have plenty of room for the 35's that are on it. It seems I can get a set of coils for around $200.
Get some RK 3.5 coils. My JK sits just a little lower than my buddies with a 4". Mine also fits in a garage.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:34 AM
JK Junkie

Can you post the parts list in shock specs?
Old 06-04-2015, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Give em an inch.......
Well you know what happens

Quick Reply: Need to lower 4" lift