Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need a little advice

Old 08-13-2014, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little advice

Here's the background: I have a stock 2009 Sahara 4dr. I don't wheel or off road, just daily driver and camp/kayak support Jeep. Last year replaced my rear shocks (leaking) with rubi take offs. The fronts are looking bad and was planning on replacing them either with rubi take offs or rancho 9000. Also, was looking at teraflex levelling kit and finally new tires (desperately needed mine are done) this fall. I chatted with Matt(great guy) at Rancho and he suggested going with the 2" sport lift. I don't plan on upgrading the stock bumpers any time soon, just don't have the cash.

So, the advice needed; Go with TF and rubi take offs, go with Rancho 2, go with TF and rancho 9000 up front?

I don't do alot of work on my Jeep, I'm the guy who as a kid took things apart and put them back together but ended up with extra parts, I'm that guy.

One final question, going with say the Rancho 2 kit, are there any extra parts needed; ie arm links etc etc.?

I've owned 5 Jeeps but never really tried to mod any of them till now.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Terraflex budget boost and get a set of Rubi take off from the forum. I sold all four of mine with springs for 100 bucks. Sorry. But they can be found and with low mileage. Mine had about 7k on them. I eventually lifted mine and got rid of budget boost too. It makes a pretty nice looking rig with 33 or 34 inch tires.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Tera flex budget boost with 19/59 rubi Jku spings and red shocks on my 2dr. Gives it's about 2.5" lift and then I cut my stock fenders I'm running a 295/70/17 wheel and tire with spacers

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4286678722.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	571067
Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

Go with teraflex and take off shocks make sure to get the adapter for the shocks
Old 08-13-2014, 09:08 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

So in order to carry a kayak and camp you need a lift for some reason? I am sure the guy at rancho is nice, he is trying to take your money, but if gave him the same explanation of what you do with your jeep he should have told you to leave it be and run some AT tires.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

You're right. I don't need a lift for camping. I was looking at the rancho from a economical point of view. Only in reference to comparison of TF level and rancho shocks vs the rancho sport 2. Originally was just thinking of leveling the jeep (don't like the rake) and putting on the rubi take offs.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Rancho 2" with the RS9000XL's. With the rebate card, you are basically getting the springs and rear spacer free, and just paying for the shocks. that was a no brainer for me... In the rear, i went the extra mile and updated from my 4255 rear springs to a heavier 4458 take off. Since yours is a 4 door, and you're just looking to level out, you may not have to do a thing to the back but add the spacer. I got take offs for free, just paid shipping. Find a shop close by that specializes in lifts, lockers, etc.... usually if you pay shipping or come by and pick them up, they will sell the take offs dirt cheap or in my case free.

And just a note about take off springs. In most instances, they will give you about 1/4" lift per added spring rate. This varies DRAMATICALLY depending on body armor, bumpers, winch, etc.... The back of my jeep was stock, and it gave me exactly that, and extra 3/4". I wasn't actually looking for rear lift when I swapped springs, it was a by product. I wanted better payload capacity. The ride did not change, FYI.

With the 2" rancho, there is nothing else you need to do or buy. Just install the kit and get an alignment done. Then go enjoy your better than stock ride and great offroad performance. A word to the wise is don't order this or any other kit from somewhere like Amazon or Ebay. 50% of the time they send the wrong kit. If you see reviews of people having a reverse rake after an install, it's because they were shipped the wrong kit; 2 door and 4 door kits ARE DIFFERENT. Be smart and go through Quadratec, Northridge 4x4, or somewhere like that.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Tarpon, exactly why I was indecisive. Thanks also for the info. The cost with rebate puts the rancho in a really nice range.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:31 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not combine a TeraFlex leveling kit with some Rubi shocks and coils?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

if you don't go offroad or intend to, why lift it? seems like it will just make it more of a pita to put kayaks on the roof. Plus when you start changing things you never know what else is going to be effected.

Personally I do have Teraflex and I will use their stuff for life - good prices and great customer service, and they never try to sell me crap I don't need. There are other great companies out there but personally not a fan of rancho just due to their reps....trying to upsell me crap i don't want/need.

I'd keep it stock/rubi take offs if I were you

Quick Reply: Need a little advice