Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need lift advice!! Dealer screwed up my jeep.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what all do you guys recommend and what manufacturers can I trust for those parts?
I've already reduced the pressure in the tires, and I will get on tonight and order whatever is recommended. Please include everything that you guys can think of that you recommend from brackets to shocks/ springs or whatever. Thanks again.

Last edited by Limitless1; 05-10-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a Rough Country 4" lift so that's close to the 3.5" measurements others are coming up with.

You need exhaust spacers, I'm going opposite of jedg and recommending, (his way works too) adjustable front lower control arms, and adjustable track bar (get rid of the pitman arm and get a factory one). If you want to correct the rear axle you'll need adjustable rear upper control arms.

Last edited by scooby snacks; 05-10-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
Looks like a Rough Country 4" lift so that's close to the 3.5" measurements others are coming up with.

You need exhaust spacers, I'm going opposite of jedg and recommending, (his way works too) adjustable front lower control arms, and adjustable track bar (get rid of the pitman arm and get a factory one). If you want to correct the rear axle you'll need adjustable rear upper control arms.
Yup. A thousand ways to skin a cat.

I think you (OP) said you're not likely to take this thing into rough stuff? If so, then the AEV geometry correction brackets are a decent choice. IF you aren't interested in rock crawling, otherwise they will be in the way.

As scooby said, the drop pitman arm is a terrible idea. Get a factory pitman arm back in the jeep. Then get an adjustable track bar. The trick is that the drag link and the track bar need to stay parallel with each other. If this isn't the case, you'll experience bump steer.

If you're not comfortable doing this type of wrenching, I recommend you find a reputable OFF-ROAD shop in your area.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd go with the rancho drop bracket. They are welded together.

http://m.quadratec.com/products/prod...=16031+1000+07

Dont freak out, not endorsing quadratec, just an example.

Your best option for steering is to install a factory pitman arm and add a flipped drag link. You can keep the factory track bar and wont be forced to tear half the front end apart to get everything going. I run an evo drag link flip, but will probably switch to metal cloak due to beefier joints.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/evo-man...ip-kit-evo1071

You really only need the right hand drive drag link and bushing since the trackbar relocation bracket is already installed.

http://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Wrangle...ink-p/7069.htm

I really like the mc dl😄.

As noted if you dont have the skills or tools, you will need to find a shop to do the work for you.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie

Heres another option that does not require drilling or reaming the knuckle.
http://steersmarts.com/products/jk-w...mount-draglink

Add this for TB relocation
http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Je...t-p-16402.html
Old 05-10-2016, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can't do a drag link flip without raising the track bar at the axle side. The whole point of going back to a factory pitman arm is so that the track bar and drag link are parallel. Just to make it clear, you have two issues. One is the steering linkage, the second is the castor. At 3 !/2 inches of lift, it is beyond using factory control arms and front track bar in my opinion. You can get by with the correction brackets on the control arms, but I'd do the front lowers and rear uppers (Synergy) if it was mine. I'd do the factory pitman arm and if you want to spend the money do a drag link flip, a raised front track bar mount on the axle side and a JKS track bar. That will get your axle centered back under the jeep and your track bar flatter. Then get a rear track bar relocation bracket if it doesn't have one. Chances are you'll be happy without doing the drag link flip.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you look at the photos, you will notice his track bar has been relocated. In order to maintain geometry the lift used a drop pitman arm. That is why I said he only needed the drag link flip and a factory pitman arm. (Head shake)
Old 05-10-2016, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

So for sure I need an exhaust spacer, a factory pitman arm, and that's about as far as I can gather so far. Do you guys think that the springs are worth a crap? I notice that regardless of what brand, all major companies seem to have more of a progressive rate spring, and these seem rather generic and single rate. Do you guys think that the relocation brackets are good or just a band aid? The biggest reason that I'm leaning toward those is more of fear of trying to dial in something adjustable. I'm guessing that to adjust them properly, I would need someone that not only is capable of doing an alignment, but also is overly qualified and has a Ph.D. In jeep? With not being familiar with some of these items, I'm terrified of the unknown. Thank you guys for helping to shed light into the darkness.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Only install a factory pitman arm if you are going to get a drag link flip. Your geometry will be way off if you just put the stock pitman arm back on without flipping the drag link.

I also prefer a double cardan front driveline over exhaust spacers.

Quick Reply: Need lift advice!! Dealer screwed up my jeep.