Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need input on new sway bar links

Old 04-07-2018, 01:59 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by Wbradshaw6
It started raining as I finished up so my project for tomorrow morning is going to be making a way to keep my swaybar up when they are disconnected. That should be easy enough, and then it is off to Uwharrie tomorrow night!
Not sure if you mean "a way to keep it in place" or actually mean you're gonna push it up and hold it there, but definitely just keep it level like where it normally is even though disconnected. If you push it up you'll stab your tire with the peg under full articulation. My non-rubi sway likes to stay right where it is even when disconnected....even without being secured.

The holes in the rubi sway bar must be just a touch smaller, cuz I don't recall any similar issues installing on my non-rubi years ago.

Originally Posted by Wbradshaw6
Thats what I get for going with the Mopar lift. I guess they stuck with the design of the OE links which was my downfall. Only good thing about the Mopar lift are the Fox shocks, I already replaced all the control arms with Metalcloak. I should have just gone with the Metalcloak lift to begin with but hindsight is 20/20. No worries though, JKS links came in the mail today, about to get this sorted.
Well if it makes you feel better, there are others, like myself, that learned the hard way too. I think a lot of people that pick the Mopar lifts do so out of convenience and thinking it might be a better option since it is Mopar, but the reality of it is there are so many better aftermarket products, and at a better price most of the time.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:02 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Sidenote on URE- it seems they've put a lock on the free air, suddenly OBA was a good choice.
Wheelin' in Colorado and similar places are the main reason I did OBA, but there were also a couple organized parks locally that although they had air, sometimes the compressors were unreliable, or someone would make off with the chuck. It's sure nice not worrying about that stuff anymore......I just use my own and roll right on past everyone waiting in line!
Old 04-07-2018, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sway bar stays

Quick and cheap sway bar stays. 2 washers, 2 quick links, 2 spring links (one for each side). All together costs about $5. Keeps my sway bar just about level. All done with this upgrade, now just waiting for my buddies to get off work and the heading to the trails!

Old 04-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

A quick piece of advice- put those snap clips in the jeep. They can and will get caught on something on the trail. To keep the bar up, I welded a nut to the vertical piece of the frame, towards the bottom, and just swing the bar up and then screw a bolt into it. No more lost pins, no sway bar links through the tires (after checking clearance at home), no problems. The nuts are virtually invisible on the frame and the two small bolts won't take up much room in your glove box. I'm not by the jeep or I'd have pics.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

A quick piece of advice- put those snap clips in the jeep. They can and will get caught on something on the trail. To keep the bar up, I welded a nut to the vertical piece of the frame, towards the bottom, and just swing the bar up and then screw a bolt into it. No more lost pins, no sway bar links through the tires (after checking clearance at home), no problems. The nuts are virtually invisible on the frame and the two small bolts won't take up much room in your glove box. I'm not by the jeep or I'd have pics.
when you get back to your jeep will you send some pics. I’ll use this setup for tonight and tomorrow but will take your advice and see if I can copy your setup next week.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It's a 2.5" bolt if I remember right. With the Rubi you'll need to do a nut and bolt on each side with the disconnect. Sport sway bars don't break in the middle so I only need one bolt to hold it all up.

I store the links and pins inside the jeep, the two bolts go in the glove box and they come out while I'm airing down. The other 360 days out of the year you'd never notice the two nuts on the frame.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20180409_125323.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	4.83 MB
ID:	676998   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180408_203924.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	676999  

Last edited by karls10jk; 04-09-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

It's a 2.5" bolt if I remember right. With the Rubi you'll need to do a nut and bolt on each side with the disconnect. Sport sway bars don't break in the middle so I only need one bolt to hold it all up.

I store the links and pins inside the jeep, the two bolts go in the glove box and they come out while I'm airing down. The other 360 days out of the year you'd never notice the two nuts on the frame.
Thank you!
Old 04-10-2018, 07:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

idk how I've not done this yet. Simple solution. I don't have issues with my bar drooping, but gonna do this too.

Quick Reply: Need input on new sway bar links