Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need ideas for a quick-release solution for my Jeep's rack

Old 06-08-2014, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need ideas for a quick-release solution for my Jeep's rack

My Jeep has the Congo Cage rack and removing those two large bolts in the front so I can tilt the rack backwards and open/close the soft top is a PITA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kargo-Master-Congo-Cage-with-Bushman-Jeep-4-door-lifted.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	558425

I am looking into some kind of quick-release system that lets me free-up the front quickly and without tools.

My initial thought was replacing the bolts by guide pins and welding latches with safety locks like these.

Medium Duty Adjustable Toggle Latches | Protex Latches

The guide pins will prevent the columns to move around and the latches lock them in place.

However, still not quite happy with this solution.

Any ideas of some high-strength structural quick-release products I can use?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:37 PM
JK Freak

I know this is not what the manufacturer would approve but...

What if you used a clevis locking pin (similar to found on discos). Instead of unbolting the windshield front mounting bracket from the front legs, what if you separate the front legs (04) from the front U-bar (03). You would need to use silicon grease rather than silicon sealant in the joint to stop corrosion while making it easy to disassemble/assemble.

Here is a clevis that might be the right size. I think I would prefer stainless steel, though.
Seachoice Locking Pin, 5/16 - 572664, Trailer Accessories at Sportsman's Guide
Old 06-08-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
I know this is not what the manufacturer would approve but...

What if you used a clevis locking pin (similar to found on discos). Instead of unbolting the windshield front mounting bracket from the front legs, what if you separate the front legs (04) from the front U-bar (03). You would need to use silicon grease rather than silicon sealant in the joint to stop corrosion while making it easy to disassemble/assemble.

Here is a clevis that might be the right size. I think I would prefer stainless steel, though.
Seachoice Locking Pin, 5/16 - 572664, Trailer Accessories at Sportsman's Guide

Thanks! Unfortunately that would not work. The rack's frame does not "sit" perfectly, so trying to insert the top part of the windshield frame into the legs would probably take longer than using the bolts. My idea of using guide pins screwed on the original bolts' locations is also to help pushing things into place when lowering the rack again. However, I thought of using smaller clevis pins, similar to those you posted, on the guiding pins. In case the latches fail the guiding pins and the clevis pins would still keep things in place.

I have been looking around trying to find some kind of tubular frame quick-disconnects or a racing cars' type accessory but so far nothing really usable. Many things are for static structures and they would not fare very well in a vehicle.

This one for steering wheel hubs looks great and could be easily adapted. However, not sure about the mechanical strength. Would need one all-steel with two locking pins.

http://secure.chassisshop.com/partdetail/C52-210/

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 06-08-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Need ideas for a quick-release solution for my Jeep's rack