Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help understanding coil over benefits

Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help understanding coil over benefits

From everything I have tea coil overs are the way to go if you can afford it. I don't see how they are that much better than a good set of coils and shocks separately. Is it because they mount in the same point or adjust together? Sorry for the newbie question, just trying to decide what to save my money for.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by tatrhed
From everything I have tea coil overs are the way to go if you can afford it. I don't see how they are that much better than a good set of coils and shocks separately. Is it because they mount in the same point or adjust together? Sorry for the newbie question, just trying to decide what to save my money for.
it might be easier to explain the differences over the phone, but I'll give you a quick outline on coilovers

Coilovers are a true dual rate coil. They ride very soft, however once you get into the secondary coil the rate goes up making the coilover keep the tire on the ground.
Coilovers are adjustable, You can adjust your ride height in a matter of minutes-
Coilovers can be customized with difference valving, coil rates etc.
With coilovers you can keep your center of gravity very low while still achieving a ton of wheel travel.

You need to decide what your budget is, what your plans are for your build. Are you going to wheel it? or is it for looks with wheeling once a month? once a year??
Old 11-28-2012, 01:45 PM
JK Freak

For me the greatest thing about coilovers is being able to customize it for your setup/ride preference.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

You get WAY more flex with coilovers from what I understand.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Chris, I have been in your site and through alot of your post here which is probably the biggest reason I'm asking. I wheel about once a month in trails in Texas so no rocks, Sept-Dec I'm at a dear lease that is more overland type stuff in the pan handle, and once a year (hopefully more soon) I'm in Colorado. A guy I work with is a big 14er and is getting me into it so I need something to get me to trail heads. Not really a big rock guy. Big kicker is its my DD so I want something to ride stock or softer and still handle the above. From what I have found, coil overs is the only way to go to get what I want. IS THIS RIGHT? Just gotta save for the $5k+ it will take me to get there. I yea, bone stock on a bone dry sport.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Tatrhed,,,, I just did my jeeps suspension with 14" king ibp (internal bypass) shocks. They have the added reservoir adjusters (expensive) and all 4 of my shocks were less than $4,500. You can get the shocks under 4k. The big advantage to me was the adjustability in the compression/rebound shims. As stated before, you also have 2 different spring rates. They are rebuildable. And, in a lot of people's opinions,, King is the best you can get. For custom applications, you can cut off your stock spring buckets and bump stops, and really start to use the whole shock's travel. It's easier with the 12" version (making 14's fit took a lot of fab and cutting) I just test drove my jeep for the first time in Ocatillo Wells last weekend and I was very impressed with what the shocks would absorb. Driving across the desert and in sand washes at 40-50 mph was smooth, and awesome! I highly recomend the IBP coilovers!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big dr
Tatrhed,,,, I just did my jeeps suspension with 14" king ibp (internal bypass) shocks. They have the added reservoir adjusters (expensive) and all 4 of my shocks were less than $4,500. You can get the shocks under 4k. The big advantage to me was the adjustability in the compression/rebound shims. As stated before, you also have 2 different spring rates. They are rebuildable. And, in a lot of people's opinions,, King is the best you can get. For custom applications, you can cut off your stock spring buckets and bump stops, and really start to use the whole shock's travel. It's easier with the 12" version (making 14's fit took a lot of fab and cutting) I just test drove my jeep for the first time in Ocatillo Wells last weekend and I was very impressed with what the shocks would absorb. Driving across the desert and in sand washes at 40-50 mph was smooth, and awesome! I highly recomend the IBP coilovers!
Did you have a kit for the mod or did you do the fabrication yourself? Any pics?

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution
it might be easier to explain the differences over the phone, but I'll give you a quick outline on coilovers

Coilovers are a true dual rate coil. They ride very soft, however once you get into the secondary coil the rate goes up making the coilover keep the tire on the ground.
Coilovers are adjustable, You can adjust your ride height in a matter of minutes-
Coilovers can be customized with difference valving, coil rates etc.
With coilovers you can keep your center of gravity very low while still achieving a ton of wheel travel.

You need to decide what your budget is, what your plans are for your build. Are you going to wheel it? or is it for looks with wheeling once a month? once a year??
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

A friend did the fab out of his garage. Moved the front axle(now a pro rock 60) forward 3". The front shock towers are 7 1/2" wide and 19' tall. the washer fluid reservoir on the drivers side was removed, and the stock air box on the passenger side had to go. For the rear, we cut a large hole out of the floor behind the rear seat. A sub-frame was built between the two rear most cross members and now a shock tower comes up about 6" above the floor. I still need to box that up! The rear axel(a pr60) was also moved back 2 1/4". I still need to get a CD with all the progress pics. When I do I will post a build thread.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Big Dr.... You have a nice rig and from the sounds of it alot invested. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you also had to get a lift on top of the coil overs right? So you have $4500 in the coil overs alone, plus the cost of the lift?

Quick Reply: Need help understanding coil over benefits